VFD heater question

More
8 months 4 weeks ago #9045 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic VFD heater question
Hey Paul, yeah, that is defintely on the list of the things to do. I am "fortunate" at the moment that I need a "front porch" between digits for the ghosting, and all I do at the moment is fire off yields() which keeps everything smooth and fluid at basically no cost.

But the release version of the software has two important changes planned:

- Like you say, async is the way to go - many thanks for the implementation pointers
- and use NTP with a DST definition instead of the time server - I like it but other people complain about it being proprietary

I might NOT look at your code, because I am playing with the idea of not open sourcing this firmware, and in that case I want to make sure that it is my own original work. Pete Virica keeps asking my why I open source things, and I have always replied "because I always do", but I might not for this, just to see if anyone really cares...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #9421 by MikeS
Replied by MikeS on topic VFD heater question
"Pete Virica keeps asking my why I open source things, and I have always replied "because I always do", but I might not for this, just to see if anyone really cares..."

Please don't. I bought and built a couple of his clocks. Just gave away the second as a gift. Just bought one of your's, and source code was a large part of that decision. I don't care if the license ties it to your hardware, but I want to be able to modify it to my desires.

Plan is, when I get the time (no pun intended), to add the ability to use an ntp time source to the ESP8266 code. Bonus points for me if I can also do a configurable summertime string. e.g. 27030200,17110200,60 for US change - 2nd Sunday of March at 02:00 and 1st Sunday of November at 02:00, change by 60 minutes.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #9447 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic VFD heater question
You see, there's the point. There's no source, or possibility to change things (or even correct problems), but it doesn't stop anyone buying them. I personally don't get it, but then again I am not the typical buyer, I guess... I wish I had insight into how to make it count. Any ideas would help.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #9455 by MikeS
Replied by MikeS on topic VFD heater question
"it doesn't stop anyone buying them."

I'm not sure that's true. I just bought one of your's instead of another of his because of the availability of source code. Most people aren't going to touch the code, and simply soldering together a kit is a stretch. For them, source doesn't matter. There are other AVR based kits out there, with source, so there definitely is a market for more technical customers.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com