No HV from All-In-One Board

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #9540 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic No HV from All-In-One Board
The crackling you heard (like tiny bacon frying in a tiny pan) is the HV generator firing up. The MOSFET is getting hot because the circuit stopped again with the gate held high. It's definitely around the crystal circuit.

Please mount the crystal and the load caps fairly tight to the board (but not so tight that they are under physical stress) , pull out the controller and re-seat, after checking that the contacts on pin 9 and 10 are clean. It's a kit that has been hanging around for a while and there's a chance that the contacts are tarnished.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #9541 by JeffN
Replied by JeffN on topic No HV from All-In-One Board
Thanks for all the responses. I'll report back once I have those components reinstalled.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #9542 by JeffN
Well, after removing Q2 it looked like the pads on the pcb came out too. I was able to re-solder one leg of Q2 and have continuity to C5 and pin 9 of the ATMEGA. I can't get the other leg of Q2 to solder to the board. Can I just run an external wire from that leg of Q2 to C6 and to pin 10 of the ATMEGA?

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #9543 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic No HV from All-In-One Board
It's a bit fiddly, but in the interests of getting on, you can try.

I better solution will be that I send you a small kit of parts so you can have another run at it. It shouldn't have been been such a painful experience, and to be honest, I'm not sure we can totally rule out faulty components.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #9544 by BS_Jim
Replied by BS_Jim on topic No HV from All-In-One Board
Yes, you can do a patch. When I have to do that, I usually just use a cut-off lead from a component, keeping it as short and direct as possible. You should be able to connect all three with one wire.

Jim

Edit: I didn't see Ian's post until after I responded. A fresh board is always nicer than a patch job.
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by BS_Jim.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #9547 by JeffN
Well, I patched the crystal to determine whether I have one or more bad components or just a bad soldering job, and I get the same results as before - all white LEDs, but touching the crystal causes them to change colors. So at this point I need to replace at least some of the components - should I replace the crystal and the C5-C8 capacitors? Anything else I should check? Or perhaps better to take Ian up on his offer?

Truthfully I've learned a lot more having to troubleshoot than I would have just following the instructions, so I wouldn't consider it too painful.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com