Single Decatron Clock Issue

More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #13092 by Ty_Eeberfest
Just FYI - Dieter has a schematic on his web site for the simplest A101 Spinner I've seen so far.

www.tube-tester.com/sites/nixie/datdekat/A101/A101.htm

I was confused at first by how the power input is drawn and thought it needed two supply voltages. But I think the idea is that if you have 240V you feed it into X1-1 and X1-3, but if you have 120V you use X1-1 and X1-2.

As far as troubleshooting the clock circuit I'm not able to be of much help. I have no access to the schematic or the code at this time.

EDIT: Oops I lied - I DO have schematic & code access. Let me see if I can come up with any troubleshooting tips.

One question though: when you get the 3 dots lighting up, is it always the same 3 or is it random?

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by Ty_Eeberfest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #13093 by Ty_Eeberfest
Here are a few thought...

You're able to access the clock via WiFi, right? If so that at least proves the Wemos is running.

Double check wiring from clock board to tube board. Looking at your pictures I think it's correct but I can't quite make out how Red and Brown are connected at the clock end.

Check the resistors around the MPSA-42 guide control transistors, specifically R8 - R11. Make sure you actually have the right values in the right places.

If you have a scope, what do the G1 and G2 signals look like, as read at the tube board, relative to GND (not to RTN)? I'd expect to see a train of rectangular pulses that swing between ~110VDC and GND.

I haven't worked thru the what-ifs of having the tube in backwards initially so I'm not sure what damage, if any, that might have done.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
3 months 6 days ago #13094 by dls
Replied by dls on topic Single Decatron Clock Issue
Thanks john.
I would love to try your circuit. Please upload to me.

More
3 months 6 days ago #13095 by dls
Replied by dls on topic Single Decatron Clock Issue
It's always the same three dots.
I also desoldered the first tube and put a new one in. Same results

More
3 months 6 days ago - 3 months 6 days ago #13096 by Walter John
If you tried another tube with the same results it is unlikely that the problem is in the tube.

Try to solder the cables to the PCB directly instead of using those (I think) chinese crimp terminals; they might have a bad connection inside.The test schematic is enclosed.

Ty pointed to Dieter's schematic and that one and the circuit enclosed are the same, only the parts which are non-critical in value have a larger range of values, so you can use junk parts or whatever you have in your drawer. If you do not connect G1 or G2 the dots will not spin and you will see two or sometimes three dots, same as in your issue, so maybe that brings you a bit closer to a solution. I have the same, but yet unfinished, decatron board here, will finish it by the end of this week.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 months 6 days ago by Walter John.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com