Flash v8 fimware to Wemos?

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #12959 by limnidytis
Hello, a few months ago, i purchased a 4 tube wemos clock for in2 tubes from you. I have been slowly working my way through building the clock. However, lately i became concerned that perhaps the Wemos was not functioning correctly. I downloaded a blink] sketch via the Arduino IDE, and the board can blink the onboard LED.

I am now attempting to re-flash the Wemos board with v8 firmware, and am lost as to how to make it work. I have limited experience with terminal or command line work.

any guidance would be appreciated,

Johnny

I am using a Mac os 12.1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #12960 by Ty_Eeberfest
I really should make a sticky thread about this. It's been discussed many times but the info is fragmented across multiple thread to the point it's impossible to find a complete procedure. Anyhow...

As you have discovered, the Arduino IDE is rendered useless when you don't have the source code. What you need is a "flasher" utility. The one I like is PyFlasher, it's simple and standalone, and there is even a MacOS version.

github.com/marcelstoer/nodemcu-pyflasher/releases

Nevermind that it talks about NodeMCU. A NodeMCU and a Wemos are (for this purpose) the same.

I don't do Apple so I'm not really up on how the Mac file system is organized, how it handles zip files, how it names ports, and so on. I trust you know these things.

1) Get and install the PyFlasher from the above link.

2) If you haven't already, get the V.8 firmware here:
www.nixieclock.biz/Downloads/4-Digit-ESP-Firmware-V8.zip
Save it and unzip the .bin file to a place you can easily find it again.

3) Remove the Wemos from the clock and connect it to the computer via USB.

4) Run the PyFlasher. Use these settings:
- Serial Port: the port the Wemos is on (prob something like /dev/usbserial, maybe)
- Baud Rate: leave at default. If that doesn't work try 115200.
- NodeMCUFirmware: the V.8 .bin file
- Flash Mode: probably Dual I/O, experiment as necessary
- Erase Flash: Yes

5) Hit the big Flash NodeMCU Button and watch the magic happen - lol. It should just work. If it doesn't, and you can't get it working by experimentation, take a screen shot of everything it output and post it here so maybe I can figure out what went wrong.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #12962 by limnidytis
hello, thanks much for the very helpful info-- I have how re-flashed the Wemos with v8 firmware. However, when i start up the clock, no LEDs illuminate and the first nixie tube flashes the numbers 23758, The other tubes all display a zero.
THANKS AGAIN FOR YOU HELP,
JOHNNY

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #12963 by Ty_Eeberfest
No problem - glad it worked out for you!

I don't know what is going on with the problems you described. I'm fairly confident what you have is a construction issue rather than a Wemos issue. All I can say is go over the boards thoroughly looking for solder bridges, cold joints and stuff. Double check orientation of all ICs. Also inspect the LEDs for any visible heat damage. They are ridiculously heat sensitive and because they are connected in series a dead LED will cause all downstream LEDs to appear dead too.

If you find yourself needing help troubleshooting please start a new thread with a new topic heading. Posting good quality photos of both sides of both boards would be very helpful. Maybe shoot some video of what it's doing, put it up on YouTube and post a link.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com