numitron clock

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #10632 by Torsten Lang
Replied by Torsten Lang on topic numitron clock

lcc wrote: think so i always have a bit of trouble with this type of stuff takes a long time for it to sink in fitting the tubes i have had a bit of trouble getting them all to light up have you made it a push fit only or tubes to be soldered in ?

Hi lcc,
there are tubes meant for use in sockets which have quite thick and short pins and such that are meant for soldering with quite thin wires.

I would urgently recommend never to try to solder a tube meant for use in sockets! Through the thick and short pin you will transfer too much heat to the vacuum sealing of the pin. You will most likely damage the vacuum sealing of the pin which doesn't need to have an immediate effect.

Regards,
Torsten
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Torsten Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lcc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #10634 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic numitron clock
Good point Torsten. I had not thought of that. I guess we will see how my soldered tubes hold up over time. So far so good.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Ty_Eeberfest.

More
2 years 9 months ago #10637 by lcc
Replied by lcc on topic numitron clock
this is going to be a tricky one haven't soldered yet have three other numitron clocks that have sockets for the tubes and i am very reluctant to solder them in on this kit could get sockets and wire them up to the board

just looking in to the crater B)

More
2 years 9 months ago #10638 by Torsten Lang
Replied by Torsten Lang on topic numitron clock
Hi,
I know there are special low temperature solders, like this older solder wire on eBay or this lead free solder paste from Almit.

But I don't know how suitable they are for such a job.

Regards,
Torsten

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #10645 by lcc
HI
when i get round to soldering them my plan is to have the pins flush with the bottom of the PCB and i have a pair of tweezers that will clamp on to the pin right where it meet the glass so hopefully will act as a heat sink

Steve
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by lcc. Reason: cant spell

More
2 years 9 months ago #10648 by lcc
HI Ian

i have had no luck getting a connection with my Wi-Fi i also have one of the your other clocks the 4tube IN12 version and i gave up on that the clock works fine but just cant get any Wi-Fi connection well its driving me mad . so i have a PV electronics WI-FI thingy for time keeping i move house recently and had a new BT hub well cant get the PV thing to connect to this could there be some thing different with this new BT hub sound stupid but cant think What the problem could be i have my old BT broadband hub and will have to give that a go as i had the PV thingy working on that at my old house

one very frustrated
Steve

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com