numitron clock

More
2 years 9 months ago #10618 by lcc
numitron clock was created by lcc
have a problem the clock will run its test and count through it numbers but when i press the button to enter first start up
it tries to look for the RTC then looks like it cant find it all tubes light up the LEDs go to a pulsing red and the second count up to 59 then restarts the count and that's it does all components in place any ideas
steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #10619 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic numitron clock
It has missed its NTP update and because the RTC has never been set it can't find anything useful to display.

Either you can go into the "Utilities" web page and tell it to do an update, or you can just leave it for a few hours and it will sync. If you force an jupdate, it should recover in a few seconds.

The NTP update frequency is 7261 seconds, so about two hours and a quarter.

Once the RTC has been updated, it should be OK even on later restarts. If it does not manage to get an NTP update right away, it will fall back to the RTC until the next update. Because the RTC has been given a reasonable time, you will not notice anything.

Make sense?
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Ian. Reason: Stupid typo

More
2 years 9 months ago #10620 by lcc
Replied by lcc on topic numitron clock
think so i always have a bit of trouble with this type of stuff takes a long time for it to sink in fitting the tubes i have had a bit of trouble getting them all to light up have you made it a push fit only or tubes to be soldered in ?

More
2 years 9 months ago #10622 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic numitron clock
I soldered mine. There was no way I could keep all segments working without soldering.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
2 years 9 months ago #10623 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic numitron clock
Weird, the first batch of boards were a perfect fit, this batch seems a bit loose. In fact I still use the first board I made (with non-soldered tubes) as the test bed for each set of tubes I send out, and the holes are still a great fit.

I have a load a sockets, and the idea was to make a version with Noval sockets, but to be honest, these are even worse than the plain pins on the board: you have to push them in so hard I can't imagine that it is not damaging the tube.

I recommend to test as best you can by trying a push fit, and once you have everything tested out, solder them.

More
2 years 9 months ago #10626 by lcc
Replied by lcc on topic numitron clock
ok thanks for the info thought it might be a soldering job best to check just in case any body had got a solution

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com