Feedback 4 Digit Wemos Clock w. IN-12 Tubes

More
1 month 6 days ago #10736 by Ian
Did you use the 3.5mm NeoPixels? I don't think the 5mm ones are ok to be mounted on the baord for IN-12 - the filling tube on the back goes lower than the PCB...

If you want to drive the concept further, I can let you have the design files for the display: might save you some time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 6 days ago #10737 by Phil_Mod3
No, I used the "regular" NeoPixels. The design is very similar to the boards of your modular clock, i.e. the neopixels are mounted in a PCB cut-out and soldered from the backside of the board. Using DSUB pins as socket, the filling tube does not reach into the cut-out of the PCB (at least for the IN-12s that I have).
I "copied" the board the hard way: re-designed it in Kicad since I wanted to improve my kicad skills anyways.

More
1 month 1 day ago #10779 by scalesr1
Just adding this FWIW - I seem to be completely inept at soldering the Neopixels so I removed them and used APA106 5mm LED's in place.
I also elected to use socket pins for the IN-12's.
Using the APA106's allowed me to position the LED right under the tube thus overcoming the issue of distance from the LED to the tube (which was even more in my case as I had used socket pins).
I am using V4 firmware but still cannot access the AP - I am dealing with that in a separate thread.

More
1 month 1 day ago #10780 by Ian
Can you post a picture of your solution?

More
1 month 1 day ago - 1 month 1 day ago #10781 by scalesr1
Here are some pictures of the APA106's installed in place of the NeoPixels - which I seem to be incapable of soldering!
I don't claim it to be a neat solution but it does allow you to get the LED nearer to the tube, which in my case (having used socket pins) helped a great deal.

Attachments:
Last edit: 1 month 1 day ago by Ian. Reason: Pictures inline

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com