What this forum is for

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #10151 by Marvin41
Replied by Marvin41 on topic What this forum is for
Hi Ian,

have you ever thought about the Harwin H3161-1 for fixing the IN-18 Nixie tubes on the board?
I have had very good experiences with it.

Harwin H3161-01

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 4 weeks ago - 4 months 4 weeks ago #10152 by judge
Replied by judge on topic What this forum is for

Marvin41 wrote: Hi Ian,

have you ever thought about the Harwin H3161-1 for fixing the IN-18 Nixie tubes on the board?
I have had very good experiences with it.

Harwin H3161-01

I've been using Mill-Max 8331-0-15-15-18-27-10-0 lately. Good to know of alternatives.

One benefit of these over the D-SUB style connectors is you can solder them in without having to have a tube in there to line them up. One drawbacks is that the tubes are mounted lower to the board, which could be an issue with underlighting.
Last edit: 4 months 4 weeks ago by judge. Reason: Messed up hyperlink

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #10173 by Marvin41
Replied by Marvin41 on topic What this forum is for
Hi Ian,

we still need a center hole for the vacuum connection of the IN-18 Nixie tube.
The vacuum connection is 4mm in diameter.

I once placed a 5 mm hole on the board, but this creates a problem with the WS2812B.
Attachments:

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #10174 by judge
My own boards include a hole for the nipple and use a 3.5mm neopixel placed behind it. The effect is fine see the photos near the bottom of this page www.nixies.us/bwg_gallery/in-18/

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #10175 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic What this forum is for
So, we're going to have to make a decision here: I had intended to use stand-off type socket pins, but everyone seems to hate them (I do too). In this case, the tube is up above all the trouble and the NeoPixel is fine where it is. The stand off pins are difficult to align and nearly always cause trouble. There are other ideas like using a holder for the pins, but these don't really help.

There are Harwin pins available, but these will put the tube down into the board and there will be a need to move the NeoPixel, either behind the board (like judge did) or try to fit it in adjacent to the hole in the board. There are smaller format NeoPixels available and it would be kind of cool to have two per tube, but I bought 5000 of the 5050 ones so I was planning to use those.

What's the consensus?

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #10176 by judge
My own boards have the small neopixel behind the hole, not underneath.

I used the standoff type pins on my boards, but I still had a hole. I will check if the nipple actually goes through he hole later.

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com