Jeff Thomas GPSII Clock

More
2 years 9 months ago #7297 by GregP
Replied by GregP on topic Jeff Thomas GPSII Clock
Hi Robert,

The NixiSat is definitely a BNC connector. The problem with replacing the BNC in the NixiSat enclosure is Jeff glued these to the wood. Trying to remove would most likely damage the finish or possibly destroy the wood. I'm sure you may be able to apply a heat gun to it, but you still run the risk of damaging the finish.

This is why I wanted to retain the BNC if possible. Unfortunately, the BNC is a two conductor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #7300 by Robert L.
Replied by Robert L. on topic Jeff Thomas GPSII Clock
Hi Mort,

I'm trying to get in touch with you off-line...

B

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #7301 by Robert L.
Got it... I'd need at least three wires, likely 4... +5VDC, GND, TXD, 1pps. BNC is just not going to do it.

B
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Robert L.. Reason: Spelling

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #7302 by mldenison
Replied by mldenison on topic Jeff Thomas GPSII Clock
Hi Bob,

I got a reply notification. I guess this board doesn't have a PM function or allows emails to members. Not that I can find.
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by mldenison. Reason: Removed my email.

More
2 years 9 months ago #7303 by Robert L.
Hi Greg,

So your NixiSat very likely needs just three wires... +5VDC, GND and GPS TXD... Checked my assumptions and it turns out the GPSII doesn't need the 1pps signal. Works fine with just a GPS NMEA stream. Your NixiSat may well be the same.

Given just three wires, how about bringing TXD and GND in on the existing BNC and finding a way to add a +5 wire somewhere else on the clock? Might be possible to inconspicuously fit a well insulated wire between the bottom of the wood and the base?

B

More
2 years 9 months ago #7304 by Robert L.
I'd bet NMEA is supported... At least a few Oncore models could be configured for NMEA output and the NixiSat description references NMEA in the command list. Certainly the same or very close code base as the GPSII:

8) Coordinate Scrolling: 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled. You location coordinates are scrolled in degrees, decimal minutes and decimal seconds, in accordance with the NMEA-0183 specification.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com