Mechanical 1 Hz Pulse Generator Idea's

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #13230 by Jomac
Building a Nixie Clock following the usual route using Nixies and Uniselctors, that part of the build isn't a problem.

I am looking at alternative ways to generate the 1 second pulse, the usual methods that I have seen use an asynchronous motor with slots in and some form of light beam.

I would like to use an idea that is visual and adds to the enjoyment of watching the clock work, so far I have come up with very little.

Any idea's out there?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #13239 by BS_Jim
I think the main problem with a mechanical pulse generator would be keeping it synchronized to the 0.5 Hz internally generated drive signal for the separators. It would require some sort of frequency locked loop to regulate the motor driving it. It would drive me crazy looking at an out of sync mechanical apparatus that's supposed to look like it's the timing source for the clock. It could be built, but it requires a great deal of determination to design and implement the circuit to sync everything.

More
1 week 2 days ago #13245 by Ty_Eeberfest
I'm picturing something involving a synchronous motor, a gear train and a cam. Cam lifts some sort of "hammer" and drops it once per second. When it drops it hits a contact or maybe hits a switch? Might look cool behind a glass window or something. I'm just thinking out loud,

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
1 week 2 days ago #13248 by BS_Jim
Now you've got me thinking along the silent operation lines. What if we could get a 1-minute egg timer (hourglass type) device, and have a motor flip it once a minute? That would give you a visual representation of the minute passing by the sand filling the lower glass.

More
1 week 2 days ago #13249 by Jomac
I will be using a 50Hz synchronous mains motor. In the UK This frequency by law has to be within 1% and is more accurate long term. I have found one motor with a speed of 10RPM and 6 divisions will give me the 1Hz I need

More
1 week 2 days ago #13250 by Jomac
The idea I am playing with at the moment is a 100mm disc fitted to a 10 RPM synchronous motor. Around the edge of the disc I have countersunk 6 magnets. Imagine a waterwheel set up and you wont be far wrong. The disc rotates anticlockwise and each magnet picks up a ball bearing at the bottom, the ball then rises up and travels past the 12 o'clock where a guide dislodges the bearing which then falls back down to the bottom in a guide. So, 6 magnets and 6 balls with a sensor somewhere in line where the balls fall should give me my 1 second pulse.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com