No wifi of Arduino Nixie Clock All in One

More
3 months 1 week ago #13064 by Carpediem
I have bought a while ago a few clocks on nixieclock dot biz and they worked fine for a while. Since a few weeks I see that the clocks are not synchronized with the real time and found out that they couldn't be reached anymore. The blue LED is flickering fast, as should when it is in Access Point state. But I see when pushing the button repeatedly, also an Ip-address. I do not see the access point when I open my Wifi-settings. When I look at my modem I do see that the clock is connected to my Network. But I do not succeed in entering the Wifi when I go to the IP- address of the clock. So I can not change the setting of the Clock. I don not succeed in resetting the clock in Access Point State.
Can anybody give me the trick how to gain access again???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #13067 by Ty_Eeberfest
This may be a dumb question but have you tried just cycling power?

How long ago did you buy the clocks? Do you know what firmware versions they are running? Do you have ability to flash new firmware on the clock and the ESP-8266 WiFi module if necessary?

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
3 months 1 week ago #13071 by Carpediem
Hi Thanks fr reply.
I have 4 clocks. Two of them ( the All in One versions) have the same problem -Quick flickering of Blue Led (As of Access Point) and also an IP-address on my router. That's conflickting. I tried to cycle power for more times, but that has no effect.
I've bought these two, I think 3 or 4 years ago from Ian. The other two MNC6's don't have these problems. I bought these 1 year ago. The version of the first 2 is vx58c and it shows communicating with: Nixie Firmwware v1,I2C, v54.
After sending the first issue I changed the ESP with one of the newer clocks and the problem is gone. I see the access point and I was able to connect the clock to my WIFi network. Putting the ESP in the MNC6 the problem was the same as decribed.

Last year I tried to flash the firmware of an ESP, I bought on Ebay, but didn't succeed in that. So I bought 2 already programmed ESP's from Ian.
Maybe it's time to make some effort on reprogramming the ESP.
The only thing what is different from both clocks is that the ESP ofg the AinO is pretty mounted nearby the housing, so maybe it's a cooling problem, or do you have other suggestions.
Thanks in advance , Roel

More
3 months 1 week ago #13072 by Ian
If you are seeing the IP address, but there is a fast flickering that is strange.

Can you describe the "fast flickering" more precisely? There is a mode where the light is mostly on, and flickers off, and there is a mode where the light is mostly off, but flashes on.

If it the "mostly on" variant, this means that the time server was not found. Perhaps the URL of the time server needs updating, or perhaps it is time to go to the newer version of the time module software that uses NTP instead of the server.

I did notice that the time server sometimes fails.

The old server in fact, is down right now, and I am not at home to restart it
its.internet-box.ch/getTime/Europe/Brussels

The new "official" server is fine
tzs.nixieclock.biz/getTime/Europe/Brussels

Might that help to explain it?

The new time provider ESP should work in the old boards, did you try that? If it doesn't, then there needs to be a firmware update on the clock.

More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #13075 by Ty_Eeberfest
EDIT: Oops, looks like Ian and I were typing at the same time!

I'm not sure what to tell you. Like you say, having an IP address and at the same time blinking as if in Access Point mode is a conflict and I can not explain it. I have never seen that happen myself.

It looks like your firmware is up to date so reprogramming the ESP is not likely to do any good,

I just can't imagine heating causing such a consistently repeatable problem. Heating, IMO, would cause random crashes or total failure.

All I can say now it let's wait for Ian to see this thread. Maybe he has seen this problem before. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by Ty_Eeberfest.

More
3 months 1 week ago #13078 by Carpediem
Thanks for thinking with me. I hope Ian has a solution fr this. As I can feel on the ESP it's not getting warm at all when functioning.
Have a nice weekend.. Roel

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com