In-14 nixie clock kit, stopped showing time

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #12981 by sprocha
Pin 4 on each of the optocouplers (OK1 - OK6) has 163.5V to 163.6V.

With a pin1 multimeter against the ground, each optocoupler has a frequency, 50.02Hz to 50.03Hz,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #12982 by Ty_Eeberfest
Okay, that looks like you are getting power to the anode drive circuitry and (probably) getting the anode drive signals from the controller. "Probably" because that 50Hz measurement seems a bit low. However, I'm really just guessing about that since there is no way for me to know for sure what the multiplexing frequency should be. Are you sure you got good measurements and aren't just seeing noise from 50Hz power grid? If you put one probe on the ground point and the other on nothing do you still get 50Hz by any chance?

With no schematic and no source code I'm not sure where to go from here. I was hoping that those tests would show us a simple problem like 160V power not getting to the anode drive (opto-couplers etc.).

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sprocha

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #12983 by sprocha
You're right, the multimeter still measures 50Hz, anywhere.
I have a simple DSO138, I am enclosing a photo of the waveform and values on pin 1.
Now that I've measured, I've connected the clock to the source, so they behave even worse. than previously.
here is the video:
ulozto.cz/file/hfsr0golKlYb/20220212-140...oRgYZzWnFyIsq2Z0AD==
Attachments:

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #12984 by Ty_Eeberfest
Yea, I always get suspicious when something reads exactly 50Hz, There is 50Hz "noise" in the air everywhere coming from house wiring and appliances and stuff.

I'm not sure what to think of that scope trace picture, but the video proves that anode drive and multiplexing is still working okay. IF I only saw that newest video I might think the K155ID1 was bad, BUT in your first video we can see that the K155ID1 is working fine. So all I can think of is to blame the Atmega328 controller. It's weird though: this controller seems to have gone crazy, that is not how they usually fail.Usually they just die completely. I think you should ask the seller to send you a replacement controller to try..... Wish I had a better answer!

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #12985 by sprocha
Thank you.

I found this one with us, is it an identical part? If so, I would stop by for him on Monday and we would know right away if it is this part.
www.gme.cz/arduino-uno-nahradni-mcu-mega328
or
www.gme.cz/atmega328p-pu-sdip28-atmel

Do these Atmega328 die often? Am I sure to buy two?

I'm not sure that the seller will contact me, he doesn't react since the kit was composed, when the races didn't want to run at all and when I first contacted the seller.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by sprocha.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #12986 by sprocha
I'll add: the clock behaved strangely from the very beginning, all the displays went through different numbers irregularly, it took a few seconds. It was as if they were going crazy and then showing the time again.
I didn't attach emphasis to it, I thought it was their function, I project numbers from 0 to 9 on each display.
But as you say, Atmega328 went crazy, that might explain it.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com