In-14 nixie clock kit, stopped showing time

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #12987 by Ty_Eeberfest

sprocha wrote: Thank you.

I found this one with us, is it an identical part? If so, I would stop by for him on Monday and we would know right away if it is this part.
www.gme.cz/arduino-uno-nahradni-mcu-mega328
or
www.gme.cz/atmega328p-pu-sdip28-atmel

Do these Atmega328 die often? Am I sure to buy two?

It's the same part but the problem is that you need one that has been programmed with the clock program. The only place to get that is from the seller of the kit.

Atmega328 are actually pretty reliable controllers. They can be killed by static if handled carelessly but for one to just die while in operation is uncommon.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sprocha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #12988 by Ty_Eeberfest

sprocha wrote: I'll add: the clock behaved strangely from the very beginning, all the displays went through different numbers irregularly, it took a few seconds. It was as if they were going crazy and then showing the time again.
I didn't attach emphasis to it, I thought it was their function, I project numbers from 0 to 9 on each display.
But as you say, Atmega328 went crazy, that might explain it.

I think that was the "Slot Machine" feature. It's supposed to prevent the tubes from getting "cathode poisoning". Most Nixie clocks have some version of this feature.

The following user(s) said Thank You: sprocha

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #12989 by sprocha

Ty_Eeberfest wrote:

sprocha wrote: Thank you.

I found this one with us, is it an identical part? If so, I would stop by for him on Monday and we would know right away if it is this part.
www.gme.cz/arduino-uno-nahradni-mcu-mega328
or
www.gme.cz/atmega328p-pu-sdip28-atmel

Do these Atmega328 die often? Am I sure to buy two?

It's the same part but the problem is that you need one that has been programmed with the clock program. The only place to get that is from the seller of the kit.

Atmega328 are actually pretty reliable controllers. They can be killed by static if handled carelessly but for one to just die while in operation is uncommon.

Thank you, so I'm unlucky, I have to hope that the seller will contact you and send me the programmed chip.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #12990 by sprocha

Ty_Eeberfest wrote:

sprocha wrote: I'll add: the clock behaved strangely from the very beginning, all the displays went through different numbers irregularly, it took a few seconds. It was as if they were going crazy and then showing the time again.
I didn't attach emphasis to it, I thought it was their function, I project numbers from 0 to 9 on each display.
But as you say, Atmega328 went crazy, that might explain it.

I think that was the "Slot Machine" feature. It's supposed to prevent the tubes from getting "cathode poisoning". Most Nixie clocks have some version of this feature.

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't know about this, one is still learning.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #12991 by Ty_Eeberfest
Yes, from what I can see your kit is a "closed" or "proprietary" product, or in other words you can't just download the code from their site and program a controller chip yourself. You can only try to get a pre-programmed controller from the seller. This is one reason why I am a big fan of open source hardware and software. But very few kit designers go open source these days because it makes it too easy for people in a certain Asian country to copy it and sell it cheap on eBay,

Last edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Ty_Eeberfest.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #12992 by sprocha
So I will hope the seller's solidity will send me a new chip.

Thank you very much for your attention, thank you for your time.
Last edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by sprocha.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com