In-14 nixie clock kit, stopped showing time

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #12975 by sprocha
Dear Sirs,
I apologize in advance for my bad English.
this kit:
www.nixiediy.com/product/in-14-nixie-clock-kit/
NOS displays from Ukraine.
I assembled exactly according to the instructions.
The hours went from February 6, 202 to today without any problems. Today, the displays have gone out and only the glow plugs are flashing.
After pulling out 12V DC, the displays start from 0 to 9, the glow plugs flash and after nine the displays do not light up, only the glow plugs flash.
The power supply is brand new 12V 1A.
Instructions here:
www.nixiediy.com/downloads/
video here:
ulozto.cz/file/5qgaSAMb4dtK/20220211-113...MQEzAIt5BT43LzV4AN==
I will not get to the reset menu.
It won't even help remove the battery.
The voltage is according to the instructions, 163.5V and 4.99V.
I checked the connection of the components.
The clock did it for me at the first start, the numbers passed and the glow lights remained on, then they started and drove for the third time, after about a day of running, the glowing glow plugs became flashing glows.
As if the clock needed to "burn out"? Am I not saying bullshit?
After about three hours, I reconnected them to the source and the glow plugs are just on, not flashing.
Please, where could be the mistake?
Thank you
Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #12976 by Ty_Eeberfest
This is difficult with no schematic and no source code! Have you tried emailing the guy you bought it from?

I watched your video. It somehow looks like a "blanking" feature is turning off the displays, but the instructions say nothing about such a feature. When the displays turn off is the high voltage still about 163 volts or does it go to 0? It just does not look like a fault - it looks like the controller is deliberately shutting off the displays for some reason.

According to Page 32 of the instructions, the neon "glow lamps" will flash in the PM and not flash in the AM if you are using 12 hour mode. Maybe that is why they stopped flashing?

I really don't know what else to say...

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sprocha

More
4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #12977 by sprocha
Greetings,
I wrote to the seller on the contact email, despite the contact form of the official e-shop. Without response.
I had a 24-hour mode set right from the start, after setting the clock. At first, the glow lights just lit up and after about a day they flickered.
Everything was fine until yesterday, when the clock stopped showing time and the glow plugs just flashed.
After about three hours, when the clock was without the power supply, after connecting the power supply back, the glow plugs are only lit.
The voltage I measured at the checkpoints, even in this "dead" state, is 163.5V and 4.99V.

Here's a video of when the clock went.
ulozto.cz/file/IPwvLbEH45s4/20220207-153...AGDjq0yzqT9QBGNlZt==
Last edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by sprocha.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #12978 by Ty_Eeberfest
I'm not sure I understand. After 3 hours without power does the clock still count and then turn off (like in the video)? Or does it now do literally nothing except turn on the glow lamps?

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #12979 by sprocha
Hello,
If, I have described this incorrectly, I now have the clock switched off, ie without a source.
When connected to the power supply, the clock shows nothing and the glow plugs do not even flash, they just light up.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #12980 by Ty_Eeberfest
I wonder if the program in the Atmega328 got corrupted somehow. You said the voltages are good. In the video everything looked fine when it was counting. It worked for a few days. So it seems to me like you built it correctly.

Just for fun, can you check Pin 4 on each of the opto-couplers (OK1 - OK6) to see if you have ~160V there?

Also, if you have a scope you could check Pin 1 of the opto-couplers to see if there is a ~5V pulse waveform present. Should look something like this:

____|¯¯|______________|¯¯|______________|¯¯|______________|¯¯|_____

If you don't have a scope you could try it with a meter set to frequency (Hz) scale to see if you read anything.

The following user(s) said Thank You: sprocha

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com