SN74141 chip issues - fake/bad batch, or is this 'a thing'?

More
4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #12938 by Walter John
Hi,
This is a probably a fake Texas Instruments chip.
Check the logo, on the SN74141 it is usually black with only a white line contour where this s a filled white logo with round corners where they should be straigth lines. This number origins from a Hungarion ebay seller. The TI chips I have do not have this notch on the left site. The TI 74141 is very hard to find these days,the russian versions, K155ID1, are available more readily.
Last edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Walter John. Reason: typo mistake..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #12941 by Ian
I agree - now I look at that Logo again, it really doesn't look like one I have seen before. The whole logo is rounded and poorly defined, just enough to trick a casual observer, but not someone who is paying attention.

Here's a real logo - and it doesn't look that much like the one on your chip:

Attachments:

More
4 months 1 week ago - 4 months 1 week ago #12942 by Ty_Eeberfest
Finally found a picture of a real (IMHO) TI 74141. I don't have a 74141 here to compare with but I believe this one is real because:

1) The logo and overall look of the markings (kind of sloppy, probably silkscreened) match nicely with some other TI 7400 series chips I have that are from the same era.

2) The date code is just a date code, not a long string of mysterious letters and numbers. That's how chips were marked in the '70s.

Also note the rather unusual (by today's standards) elongated notch on the Pin 1 end.

EDIT: Also This

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 months 1 week ago by Ty_Eeberfest.

More
4 months 1 week ago - 4 months 1 week ago #12943 by meq123
Thanks guys for your updates. I do agree with you - obviously these are fake. I wonder what they actually are?

Unfortunately I got them too long ago to dispute on AliExpress, or even leave a bad review. Lesson learned -- don't order stuff in advance, or certainly without thoroughly testing it when it arrives. Fortunately this was only a few bucks, and it did no damage. The clock is working fine now with a K155ID1 and that one tube replaced.

Interestingly, the tubes I got from eBay (from Moldova) and I sent a message to the vendor about the bad one. I didn't expect much, since this order also being many months ago, but he replied immediately and was very apologetic and has sent a replacement in the mail. Nice! And makes the SNAFU frustration with the 74141's much easier to bear :)
Last edit: 4 months 1 week ago by meq123.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com