Basic time settings not working?

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #12570 by Ty_Eeberfest

Sasam wrote: You are right Ty, the tubes are not in a tube holder or board so I do not have to remove them. I'll check the wiring again, but I'm curious as how the sequence is fine counting "0-9" on all tubes in "first start" mode but don't sequence in clock mode. I thought any problem with mis-wiring would have been evident at first start .

What I am saying is that the cathode wires are "shifted" (offset) by one position, not "crossed" or "swapped". Therefore it would never be noticed in a straight counting situation such as initial start,

I'm not sure how to put it in words clearly. When counting on all digits there is no reference point - no way of telling which number is supposed to be showing at a given time. Would you notice it starting the count at 1 (or 9) instead of zero? No, since it would only be apparent immediately after power is applied. But in time keeping mode there is a point of reference: you know that the 10sec digit should increment when the 1sec changes from 9 to 0, the 10sec digit should roll over from 5 to 0, etc. so the problem becomes very noticeable.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sasam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #12571 by BS_Jim
You probably just have to move each wire over 1 pin and move the last one around to the other end. There's a pinout for the tubes on Dieters Nixie Tube Page here.

The reason they appear okay in the first start testing mode is because all you really notice is they light in sequence and not the fact that they're off by one. Also, a digit can act as the anode so you might not notice that one of the digits isn't lighting up. I believe if you watch them closely in first start mode you will see that one of the digits isn't lighting. Probably the zero.

A side note. Get yourself another set of tubes. IN-1's are dirt cheap and notorious for failing early compared to later tubes. You'll know when this happens because suddenly two digits will light up at once on all the tubes each time one of those digits is supposed to be lit. You will want to have spares on hand. Also, use the blanking function to turn off the display when nobody's there to view it. It will save your tubes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sasam

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #12572 by Sasam
Okay, that makes perfect sense. I thought I had wired it wrong after looking at the schematic in my Rev4 construction manual where it shows "0" of the tube connecting to pin "1" of the conn and pin "1" of the tube connecting to pin "10" of the conn. So I just finished swapping all those leads around and now it's counting down instead of up. I'll try shifting the leads as you suggested. Thank you for dealing with my rookie mistakes, I do appreciate you.

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #12573 by Sasam
Thank you Jim, I'll try moving the wires over one pin. Which way to the left or to the right?
Thanks for the link, I'll definiteley check it out. All the digits are lighting up in first start mode and cycling okay.
I purchased a box of 24 tubes about a year ago so I have the spares.
I can't thank you enough for your help. I hope I can get this working it's been a journey.

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #12574 by Sasam
Alright, alright, alright!!! Thank you Jim and Ty for your guidance, I was able to get the clock and settings to work as they should. Let's just say I had a whole lot of wrong going on in there. By using the proper pin schematics both for the tubes and board it is now ticking and tocking away, just in time for tomorrows photo shoot. I just can't thank you guys enough for your patience, guidance and knowledge. YOU GUYS ROCK!

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #12575 by BS_Jim
Awesome! I'm glad you figured it out. We'll look forward to your posts in 6 months to a year about two digits lighting at once. (hehehe...I'll never build any more clocks with IN-1's.)

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com