Basic time settings not working?

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #12576 by Ty_Eeberfest
I'm happy to hear you got it all sorted out. I had to look back a bit to refresh my memory but now I see you're the guy that had the board with a cut trace. I'd say you've had your fair share of problems! Thanks for sticking with it.

A box of 24 IN-1s should be enough to keep a 6 digit clock going for a while ;)

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #12577 by Sasam
Yes, it has been a journey but I have learned along the way so it hasn't been a wasted trip. Thanks again for for all your help.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #12578 by Sasam
Hopefully I can recall your advise when the tubes start to fail.
The round face shape of the IN-1 tubes I have lends themselves to be more advantageous to the style of art pieces I create over the more elongated vacume type tubes like the IN-12 or IN-14.
I realize inherently all tubes will eventually fail but in you experience do you know of a similar tube like the IN-1 with a longer life?
Thanks again for your help!

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #12579 by BS_Jim
The thing with IN-1's is they were made before they discovered that adding a trace of mercury to the gas inside greatly improved tube longevity. The only other round tubes that are fairly easy to get and inexpensive are IN-4's. They are also mercury free from what I've read. I don't know how they hold up personally. I've yet to switch out my IN-1 clock with IN-4's because the pin size on IN-4's is normal and not huge like the IN-1's. If you want to start looking for other types of nixies, maybe German or British made tubes, they'll be more expensive and harder to find. You'll have to do a bit of Google research to find out if they're mercury-doped or not.

The kits Ian sells that have Neopixel LED's also have a PIR (Passive InfraRed) input pin, Using that along with a very small microwave motion sensor board makes the tubes only light when there's someone in the room to see them. It greatly increases the life of the tubes. The microwave boards are very sensitive and can even be put inside of a wooden case with no opening.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sasam

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #12580 by Ty_Eeberfest
Sasam, check this out:
www.tube-tester.com/sites/nixie/nixie-tubes.htm
This is the closest thing to a comprehensive catalog of Nixies from numerous manufacturers (pun not intended) that I know of. It won't tell you where to get tubes but it gives you ideas on what to search for. Depending on the particular tube the site may list extensive tube data or just a picture and a pinout. Well worth your time to take a look!

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sasam

More
4 months 3 weeks ago - 4 months 3 weeks ago #12581 by Sasam
Thank you Ty and Jim, your wealth of knowledge and experience and your willingness to share it with others I find rare these days. I truly appreciate it. Here's what I create with my tubes and really do look forward to starting another.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Ian.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com