Can you folks take a quick peek at my schematic for Classic Rev6?

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #11866 by ironspider
Greetings all, I'm working with the Classic Rev6 and want to make a "remote board" for it that holds my IN-12s and some neon separators. I've worked up the following schematic (attached) and was hoping you all might be able to take a quick peek and see if it seems correct? Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #11868 by Ty_Eeberfest
Looks generally okay to me with one exception: the neon "tick" bulbs should not be in series - the probably won't light at all that way. Best to put them in parallel and give each one its own 120K resistor. To be clear that's 4 resistors in total. Then replace R19 and R22 0n the clock board (the two Tick LED 1K resistors) with jumper wires.

It's not strictly necessary to run a wire in your harness for each pair of tick neons since it is the same signal for both. See clock schematic. But it isn't doing any harm either.

Lastly, you might be happier with separate connectors on your display board for anodes, cathodes, and "the rest". It's not real important, I'm just being a bit OCD about it. Not knowing all the reasons behind your design I don't know if it's a good or not.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #11869 by Ian
I have a feeling I have something almost exactly like this somewhere in KiCad.

bitbucket.org/isparkes/classic-r6-in-12-display

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #11870 by ironspider
Hey Ty, I did this based on the build manual for the Rev6. on page 29 (the "Hacks and Alternatives" page where it talks about using neons instead of LEDs) it says: "For each neon, place a 270k resistor in series, and drive from the HV output on the power connector on the board. Here is an example with a 270k resistor and two INS-1 neons."

Am I reading that wrong?

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #11871 by Ty_Eeberfest
"For each neon, place a 270k resistor in series"

What it's saying is to put a resistor in series with each neon. Each neon gets its own resistor. We can debate the value of those resistors and never reach a conclusion because every type of neon bulb has an "ideal" resistor value and they're all different. The manual is, based on my own experiences, far too conservative with the 270K recommendation. I have 2 clocks right here that use NE-2 type neons for separators. Through experimentation I ended up with 120K resistors. They work well for me.

As for putting 2 neons in series with each other, they will never light. Consider how neon lamps behave - strike voltage, maintaining voltage, the so-called negative resistance effect - and you will see why that is. Basically neither neon of the series pair will ever see striking voltage.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #11872 by ironspider
I'm confused--because I'm doing a test with the neons in series and they're lighting up fine (see attached which shows them "pulsing" as they should [one picture shows them at full brightness and the other shows it "dimmed"--the top two neons are using a 270k resistor and the bottom two are using aa 100k resistor so I could see the difference in brightness]). I am using 2x 4mm neons for each "tick" output (so 4 neons total). I have it wired like this:
  • R19 has a 100k resistor in it
  • R21 has a 270k resistor in it
  • "HV" from SV1 is connected to one leg of each of the sets of neons.
  • The other leg of that neon is connected to a leg of the second neon in series
  • The "final" leg of the first neon series is connected to SV6-"1" and the last leg from the other series is connected to SV6-"2"
Attachments:

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com