Inquiry - Nixie IN-12 used for automotive "gauges"??

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #11837 by nixie-N00b
hmkay, we will see ^^
i hope, we hear something about this project after this thread and how it will be solved.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #11839 by AZ_Ron
Yep, the original fuel tank is directly under the seats in the cab, go figure!!
I'll be putting in a modern tank in the in the bed somewhere, along with an air tank and compressor as this vehicle will have an air ride suspension. I want the truck to ride at a decent height while driving, but when parked at a show or meet, be able to drop it to the ground. The air ride will also provide a smoother ride by far than the original suspension.
That said, one of the main reasons I'm planning on using IN-12's is that they are cheap, plentiful, and their pins tend to be thicker/stiffer than IN-14. I'm planning on using sockets for all the tubes, so if one fails, it's a cheap and easy thing to just pull the bad tube, pop in a replacement. Last I checked, IN-12's are about $3/each.
This vehicle won't be a daily driver, I have a work vehicle for that. This is just to enjoy on the weekends, take to shows, etc. I just think that a Ra Rod simply screams for Nixie instrumentation!!
Imagine, something like this, with Nixie instruments...
Attachments:

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #11843 by Ty_Eeberfest
Ron, this thread went off on a bit a tangent last night so I'm wondering, did you see my lengthy post back on Page 2?

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
5 months 1 week ago #11845 by AZ_Ron
Hi Ty... yep, I read it as well. I'm pretty open as to the direction the methods take. An encoder on the tailshaft of the tranny would be fine. I'd have to come up with firm numbers for the rear gear ratio and the actual tire size I'll be using in order to program the MC properly.
I'm really amenable to whichever method seems to make the most sense to you, as you obviously have a good amount of experience with NIxies and working with code. As far as the actual implementation, I have a machine shop, with a couple of mills, couple of lathes, welders, plasma cutter, etc so I can make whatever is needed to make things work. I didn't mean to necessarily rope you into this project, but I'm extremely grateful for all of your insight and help!
Had a thought earlier today while I was on a 400+ mile drive... Use IN-12's for the Speedo, and IN-17's for Oil pressure and Temp... thoughts?

More
5 months 1 week ago #11846 by Ty_Eeberfest
My bias is toward using an encoder rather than GPS. With all the right ratios it could be quite accurate. Finding the right encoder for the job would require some research - something that's fit to live under a car but not cost a fortune either. With a machine shop available attaching an encoder should be no problem. Also it occurred to me that by using a Wemos or other ESP82xx type controller it would be possible to connect to the dash with your phone via WiFi and change things like tire diameter etc.

IN-17s would look cool. Sort of mimics how a stock dash "features" the speedometer big and dead center. My only beef with the IN-17s is that they have wire leads instead of pins so they get soldered in instead of plugged into the board. If we were talking about a desk clock I wouldn't think twice but for automotive environment easy replacement may be desirable. I really don't have a clue how the tubes will perform - may be worrying about a non-issue.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
5 months 1 week ago #11847 by AZ_Ron
I was thinking about the IN-17 issue with needing to be soldered.
I'm willing to give it a shot. I love to solder! I was thinking however... since the IN-17's are considerably smaller than the IN-12's, there's less mass as well, the grids are smaller as are the elements. If I mount the panel wit the tubes on it with silicone vibration isolators/dampeners, I think we might have something! ;)

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com