Multiple clocks

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #11013 by Xntrix
Multiple clocks was created by Xntrix
Hi, I have two of the Numitron clocks - one DA2000 running Ok (with much help from Ian!). I have just completed the IV-9 version. Before I do something stupid, how do I connect to the two different clocks? Thanks, David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago - 6 months 2 weeks ago #11015 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Multiple clocks
There are two ways to tell them apart:

1) using the IP address
2) using the mDNS name

These can be found on the summary page:

If you cannot get to the summary page, you can also get the same information by pressing the button until you see the first part of the IP address (4 presses) and the second part (5 presses), and put them together as described in the user manual. Alternatively you can get the hex clock ID (7 presses) and make a url out of it like

http://ESP_<value from display>.local

In the example above, this goes to "http://ESP_4E31F1.local"

Note that the value on the display will be 4E31F1 and you have to put the "http://ESP_" before it and ".local" after it. On the display you will only see the hex letters and numbers:

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by Ian.

More
6 months 1 week ago #11018 by Xntrix
Replied by Xntrix on topic Multiple clocks
Hi Ian, thanks for that. I can see the second clock in my "Available Networks" - the number was on the packing slip ESP_216379. However, I have been unable to connect to it, and it's driving me nuts! When I try to connect, it asks for a "Network Security Key". I assume this is my router password. I have tried it many times, but it just keeps coming back "Network Security Key Incorrect" So, no Wi-Fi connections, no IP address etc. What could I be doing wrong?

More
6 months 1 week ago #11019 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic Multiple clocks
At that stage of setup you're logging in to a WiFi network (access point) temporarily created by the clock - not logging in to your own router. I believe the "key" it is asking for is:
"SetMeUp!"
(no quotes, case sensitive, don't leave out the '!')

That should get you connected so that you can configure the clock with the name and password for your WiFi network / router. Once you do that you will be disconnected from the clock access point and you can connect back up to your own WiFi as usual. The clock should then show up on your network like the first clock does,

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
6 months 1 week ago #11020 by Xntrix
Replied by Xntrix on topic Multiple clocks
Thanks for your reply. As soon as I read it, I remembered it from the clock. But I can't get this on to connect. I am running Win 10. I go to Settings, Wi-Fi, Available Netwoks. ESP_216397 is on of them. I click on that, and select Connect. The Wi-Fi manager pops up. Configure Wi-Fi - and a box with ESPClock (should I change this to ESP_216397?) and underneath I enter the password "SetMeUp!" A new page opens saying "Credentials Saved, Trying to connect to ESP Network, If it fails reconnect to AP and try again". Thats it, nothing ! The clock is sitting saying APP__On" and stays that way until I reconnect to my internet connection! I must have got it to work on the first clock, but I am damned if I know how! Any ideas (please!) David

More
6 months 1 week ago #11021 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic Multiple clocks
I'm not having any luck reproducing the problem here, but I do not have a Win10 system to test with right now. I am using an iPhone to configure the clock's WiFi. It should be the same as with Windows but you never know...

Here is how it SHOULD go:

1) Power up your clock.
Clock should say AP__ON, one tube should be blue, 2 tubes green.

2) With computer/phone look for available WiFi Networks.
You should see a network ESPClock or ESP_xxxx.
Connect to it.

3) It should ask for a password ("security key".)
This is where you enter SetMeUp!

4) Now you should get a screen (a captive portal) with some blue buttons on it.
Click the Configure WiFi button.

5) Now a screen should appear with a list of WiFi networks.
Select your own WiFi network (router) and enter your password.

6) Now you should see the "credentials saved..." screen

7) After a short time the tubes should all turn green and your computer of phone will be disconnected from the ESP_xxxx network (because the clock turns off its access point).

8) At this point the ESP is a Station on your WiFi Network. You should be able to connect to it with a browser by going to http://ESP_xxxx.local

HOWEVER

If it gets stuck between steps 6 & 7 above (I have seen mine do that only once) what you should do is cycle power to the clock, wait until it gets back to AP__ON, and do the whole procedure again.

PROTIPS

On your phone or computer, turn off all "remember this network", "auto-join", "auto-login" and so on features for the ESP_xxxx network.

Most people I'm aware of are using their phones or tablets to do this initial setup. You may have better luck if you do that.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com