Nixie Clock Build GN-4, Proximity Sensor, GPS & Dekatron

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #12965 by BS_Jim
When I built my first kit, I had a look through the schematic before I sourced the parts and I ordered all 1/8 W resistors. My kits have been running fine for a couple of years now. Nothing in the circuit really draws any current except maybe the anode resistors, and they only draw 37 mW @ 3.5 mA anode current so they're still safe. Even the big resistors he shipped to you could be replaced with 1/8 W resistors. I suspect it's just what he had on hand to ship. No worries. It's safe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #12966 by mclegg
Thanks for this. I would expect that they are 1/8w, as they are around 3mm long - the old ones are around 6mm long. Just wanted to check, as I get nervous with this stuff for some reason - don't want to come home with flames coming out the windows!

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #12967 by BS_Jim
Yeah, I don't blame you. Working with high voltage and tiny parts on an unfamiliar circuit could very well let the magic smoke out of a part or two. It's really a low power circuit, though. Heck, it's powered by a wall-wart. Just be sure to calibrate the HV circuit by doing a factory reset any time you change your power supply or replace any parts and you should be good.

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #13020 by mclegg
I would like to thank everyone for their help here. After the build it all looks to be going well, the LDR, WiFi and the Ultrasonic Doppler is all working well. The doppler is sensitive when the clock is running, but once it turns off it needs you to be 1-3m away and it turns back on - likely the way its orientated.

Thanks to everyone who helped - it was a journey but has kept me on my feet!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ty_Eeberfest, Ian, BS_Jim

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com