Nixie Clock Build GN-4, Proximity Sensor, GPS & Dekatron

More
2 months 6 days ago #12838 by Ty_Eeberfest
Yep, what Jim said.

I have a dim memory of running into something called an IRF640A that turned out to not be suitable for use in the clock circuit. Aside from that "A" the suffix letters shouldn't matter. Just make sure to select one that's in a TO-220 package. If ordering from a major distributor (Mouser, CPC-Farnell, etc.) the package style should be clearly stated in the part description.

Ordering a few spare inductors (150uH, >=2 amp) is a good idea and they're pretty much "penny parts". There have been a few forum threads lately about inductor failures, leading me to believe there might have been a defective batch that slipped thru.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 4 days ago #12841 by mclegg
What other factors do I need to look for another inductor?
The one in the HV circuit is 100uH, but I don't know what else to look for. You mention something at least 2amps above, tolerances or anything?
Is there a particular type of inductor this is?

Cheers,

More
2 months 1 day ago #12842 by mclegg
Any suggestions here?
I really am lost when it comes to inductors - I dont have any knowledge of them.
Does anyone have any links at all to what I would need?
From what I can tell, the big one was 100uH, however Ty is suggesting a 150uH?

Cheers,

More
2 months 1 day ago #12843 by Ty_Eeberfest
You said you are in NZ whereas I'm in America. I can't imagine you want to import your inductors from half a world away, so my sources would be useless to you. I was really hoping someone from NZ or Oz was lurking and would offer up a local source.

Here is my pick of inductor from a source in my country. Kemet is a pretty big brand so probably your sources stock their products.

www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KEMET/SBC8-...r4V2214T0kKEqA%3D%3D

I say 150uH because that is what Ian has been shipping with kits for a while now. The idea is that the bigger inductor can't hurt anything and should help cut down on hot MOSFET complaints.

REMINDER: Any time you change your power supply or change any component in the high voltage section you MUST do a factory reset and HV calibration the FIRST time you power it back up.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
2 months 1 day ago #12846 by mclegg
Thanks Ty, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com