Nixie Clock Build GN-4, Proximity Sensor, GPS & Dekatron

More
10 months 2 days ago #10877 by Ty_Eeberfest

mclegg wrote: Also Ty, awesome you did that, I will be endeavoring to do that once I have the clock built!

Thanks Mike. Your inquiry got me thinking about Dekatrons again so I decided to just buy some stuff and try out what I told you you could do. Basically I bought a Dekatron tube off eBay and a "spinner" kit from the Three Neurons guys, then modified the spinner (very simple to do) to take an external trigger. Getting a signal back from the spinner to tell me when the Dekatron is at the zero position was a bit trickier. In the end I put my interface circuitry on a little piece of perf board and piggy-backed it on to the spinner board. Perhaps not the most stylish solution but hey, it works!

One problem: I misspoke when I said the Rev. 6 has spare I/O. It doesn't. I ended up sacrificing the LDR input and decimal point output to get the 2 I/O points I needed for the Dekatron. You probably won't want to do that, so the other option is to use I2C and sacrifice nothing. This means adding either an Arduino Nano or an I2C I/O expander chip to "receive" the I2C signals. I tried this using an Uno rather than a Nano, it worked fine but that wasn't what I wanted so I sacrificed features as mentioned.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 2 days ago #10878 by Ty_Eeberfest

Ian wrote:
I'm sure I made a video of it, but I can't seem to find it at the moment...

Yep, and I'm 99% sure I watched that video when it first appeared in my YouTube subscription feed. But now I can't find it anywhere. Did you perhaps inadvertently set it to Private??

More
10 months 1 day ago #10879 by mclegg
I look forward to that part of the build once I am done with this part...

I cannot seem to find anything in any of the documents anywhere about the microwave unit and how to wire this in?

Any ideas?

More
10 months 1 day ago - 10 months 1 day ago #10880 by Ty_Eeberfest
The microwave detector hooks up the same as the PIR shown on Page 7 of the Construction Manual. The markings on the microwave sensor's pins may be a bit different than what the drawing shows for a typical PIR. If your detector is the same as the one I have in my hand, it hooks up like this:

Microwave Pin "VIN" to Clock Pin "VCC"
Microwave Pin "GND" to Clock Pin "GND"
Microwave Pin "OUT" to Clock Pin "PIR"

EDIT: For clarity. The "CDS" and "3V3" Pins on the microwave detector, if present, are not used / left unconnected.

The idea is that you are powering the microwave detector with +5v from the clock board (VCC & GND) and returning a discrete signal (OUT aka PIR) to the clock. No magic involved - it's just a discrete (on or off) signal indicating "presence" or "no presence".

EDIT 2 This is fixed in latest version of manual. Also let's head this one off before it becomes a question: I noticed there is an error in the schematic for the WS2812 LEDs hookup on Page 7. Disregard how the capacitors are shown. The correct connection is that VCC goes directly to Pin 1 of every WS2812, GND goes directly to Pin 3 of every WS2812, and the capacitors (which aren't even strictly necessary) go to Pin 1 & Pin 3 of the WS2812 they are situated next to. Wiring of Pins 2 & 4 looks okay but if you wired the power and ground as drawn only the first LED would work.

EDIT: For clarity. If using capacitors with your WS2812s you should place one capacitor directly physically adjacent to each WS2812. The idea of the caps is to provide a little bit of LOCAL decoupling for each WS2812.

Last edit: 10 months 1 day ago by Ty_Eeberfest.

More
10 months 1 day ago #10881 by Ian
Hi Ty, are we talking about this:

Or am I on the wrong track?
Attachments:

More
10 months 1 day ago #10882 by Ty_Eeberfest
Hey Ian,
What you're showing there looks perfectly good to me. Did you just now change that or am I using a stale version of the manual? Admittedly I'm using a copy I saved locally some time ago.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com