Vintage Nixie Clock Help

More
1 month 4 days ago #10558 by Froula
Replied by Froula on topic Vintage Nixie Clock Help
Google "HC13/U" and you will find a number of 100 KHz crystals that look nearly identical to that in your clock, some currently available.

"HC13/U" is the package designation for that crystal. It is on the crystal reference page I posted earlier, farther down the page.

Don
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ty_Eeberfest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago - 2 weeks 5 days ago #10592 by MikeS
Replied by MikeS on topic Vintage Nixie Clock Help

Ty_Eeberfest wrote: BTW - is that big kind of oval aluminum can the 100KHz crystal? It's shaped like a crystal but it's about 10 times the size of any crystal I've ever seen! And I've seen plenty of old crystals - I was modding CB radios in the late '70s B)

Looks like an HC-13/U package. 1970's is not "old" for crystals. When I started ham radio, I had a collection of FT-243 crystals (couldn't use a VFO, as a novice-class). You could take the cover off, take the crystal out, and change the frequency - rub it with a pencil to add mass and make it slower, or gently use a bit of fine sandpaper to make it faster.

That one looks to have been made by PBG (Italian).

Edit: Froula beat me to it, didn't read to the end before replying...
Last edit: 2 weeks 5 days ago by MikeS.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #10593 by Froula
I did the same trick in my novice days. I used a fine polishing grit with water and a flat glass plate to grind the crystal slab to a higher frequency. I think I had three crystals in the novice band for my Heath HW-16.

I'm pretty sure my Heath HW-101 (and other Heath rigs of the era) had a 100 KHz crystal calibrator that used an HC-13/U to generate harmonics every 100 KHz to calibrate one's operating frequency.

Don

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #10594 by Froula
Here's a link to an old Heathkit stand-alone 100 KHz crystal calibrator. One of the images clearly shows the large 100 KHz crystal within,

www.radiomuseum.org/r/heath_crystal_calibrator_hd_20.html

More
1 week 15 hours ago #10599 by MikeS
Replied by MikeS on topic Vintage Nixie Clock Help

Froula wrote: Heath HW-16.

Hotwater 16! That was my starter rig, too. Rules got relaxed while I was a Novice, then added a HG-10B VFO, which made things much easier. Amateur Extra now, with FT-890 and Elecraft K2, but not very active. Seems most hams these days are appliance operators.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com