Only displaying number 4

More
4 weeks 7 hours ago #10101 by jonboy
Just a quick question!!!

I have built up my second part of my clock and was happy how it looked, but when I plugged it in only the number 4 displayed on both second nixies. Seconds as in NOT hours and minutes!

Bulb number 5 (tens of seconds) only showed a nice number 4 and bulb number 6 (unit of second) showed number 4 with a mix of others appearing all at the same time, but number 4 stayed bright all the time.

I did have a problem before on the board, trying to get HV to begin with, and changed the mosfets and atemga chip, but didn’t change the k1551 (I think it is this number??)

Could that be the problem?
What else should I check first?

Thanks guys
Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 weeks 6 hours ago #10102 by jonboy
Replied by jonboy on topic Only displaying number 4
Don’t panic, hold the press, I have found the problem!!

Stupid me had the ki551 the wrong way around!!

When I was swapping things over to the new board, I couldn’t remove the header that the chip sits in, so I cut down one I had to fit.
Then not looking at the diagram, I just put the chip in so the writing was the right way up.
But as it happens, the chip I have, has to go in with the writing the wrong way up!
Don’t ask me why, but it now works and I have perfect seconds counting way beautifully.

Now it’s just a case of wiring in the minutes and hours.

This forum is great, you can even answer your own questions!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ty_Eeberfest, Ian

More
1 week 3 days ago #10133 by Alf
Replied by Alf on topic Only displaying number 4
I have a similar problem. I build the arduino kit clock and I'm testing the first tube atm. First everything was fine but on the second startup the tube shows 4,6 and 0 at the same time, occasionally showing 8 as well. The nixie driver is mounted the right way and the board with every solder connection looks fine.. I'm using IN-16 tubes and therefore 5cm connection wires to the pins. How to check what's wrong? What could cause multiple numbers to light up at the same time?
Thanks,
Alf

More
1 week 2 days ago #10134 by Ty_Eeberfest
Is the tube known to be good? Even NOS tubes occasionally develop shorts internally.

The usual causes of this problem, in order of commonness, are:
- Short in wiring
- Internal short in tube
- Bad decoder chip (K155 or 74141)

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alf

More
1 week 2 days ago #10135 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Only displaying number 4
Hi Alf: If it had been firmly stuck on "4", my money would have been on the decoder either the wrong way round or defective. If you are occasionally getting other numbers showing up, that puts that theory under suspicion. Could you make a short video of the problem?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alf

More
1 week 2 days ago #10136 by Alf
Replied by Alf on topic Only displaying number 4
It indeed shows other numbers occasionally. See the short video here:
drive.google.com/file/d/1rnblW-bPuxF2uI-...nBa/view?usp=sharing
I tested the tube with my own HV booster before, so it should be okay. I double checked the wiring, that should be fine. I think it's the decoder then..

edit: I changed the decoder, it works now! I actually used the new one you shipped, but I must have broken it somewhere on the way. Thanks for the tip!
Alf
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ty_Eeberfest

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com