Testing Thyratrons

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #9887 by Ian
Testing Thyratrons was created by Ian
I have come into a largish number of ITS-1A thytratrons (100 or so). Does anyone know how to test them (without putting them into a device)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #9889 by Torsten Lang
Replied by Torsten Lang on topic Testing Thyratrons
If I remember right I just checked with a plasma ball if they gassed out. If the gas filling is OK you will induce gas discharges when holding them near such a device while dead ones don't show the typical discharge color. The currents are low enough.

This is not a test for functionality, but it gives a first impression if the tube is dead to to vacuum failure...

Regards,
Torsten
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #9935 by Torsten Lang
Replied by Torsten Lang on topic Testing Thyratrons
Hi Ian,
I just checked a bunch of similar tubes with my plasma globe. The neon discharge will start when the tube I hold at the wires is some cm away from the glas bowl. For my current tube delivery the result was not too promising, four of the delivered 20 tubes were dead (gas leak).

As said, I previously pre-tested my set of ITS-1A before soldering them into Jürgen Grau's Thyrathron kit. It didn't fry my tubes and was easy enough to handle.

Regards,
Torsten
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #9948 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Testing Thyratrons
Thanks!

I expecting the first batch to turn up in the next couple of days. It's good to have a quick check method for outgassing, so I'm grateful you mentioned it.

More
1 week 6 days ago #10195 by notfaded1
Replied by notfaded1 on topic Testing Thyratrons
Check out these tests...

Bill

More
1 week 6 days ago #10196 by notfaded1
Replied by notfaded1 on topic Testing Thyratrons
Here's my latest new clock I recently acquired. I'm hoping it will be all it can be. I wanted to build one but the PCB's aren't available anymore I don't think. I think I may have missed the boat on building one unless I got some more PCB made:

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com