PIR and/or RADAR Occupancy Detection

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #9642 by jonboy
I am only new to nixie clocks, but I have seen somewhere (can’t remember where) that someone had a sensor on the front of their clock that turned on when it sensed movement, and I suppose turned off after so many minutes.
Is this something that can be retro fitted to Ian’s boards easily?
I think that was a great idea, as it saves the clock being on all the time or trying to set it for when you will be in the room.
If someone can point me in the direction I saw this, I would be grateful and tell me where I can get one!!
As for alarms/chimes.......I am not so sure. It depends on where the clocks kept. Would the alarm/chimes still go off if your clock was in standby?
If it was doing a tube cycle at the time the alarm/chime was going to sound would this affect it?
My wife even hates the tick of a battery clock, let alone a chime every hour!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #9645 by MikeS
Ian's current Classic Rev6 board supports a PIR or RADAR detector which it can use to blank the display after a user defined time in the absence of activity. I don't know how far back that support goes, or for which other models.

I built one using a RCWL-0516 RADAR detector (a couple of bucks from China). As it came, it was overly sensitive (works through walls!, but that also means it can be hidden inside a non-metallic case), but by soldering an SMT resistor on the board (in a spot which is already provided), the sensitivity can be adjusted. I started with 470K, and right now have 750K. The right value is somewhere in between for me. Lower values make it less sensitive.

You probably should have started a new thread - this is off-topic for one discussing "open source."

More
7 months 2 weeks ago - 7 months 2 weeks ago #9646 by Ty_Eeberfest
Presence sensing, whether it be by PIR or RADAR, is only supported on boards that use WS2812 ("NeoPixel Style") RGB LEDs. Those boards are the Classic Rev. 6 and the Modular Rev. 3. The reason is that all GPIO are already in use on the boards that use conventional RGB LEDs meaning there is no spare input left to connect a presence sensor to.

I'll try to split this thread now to keep things from wandering off topic.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Last edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by Ty_Eeberfest.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com