Looking for pad drawing for IV-8 Nixies and IV-11 VFDs

More
3 years 7 months ago #9573 by Ian
So, looking around, Altium seems to be able to import KiCad footprints, and you can find an IV-11 footprint here:

github.com/jh1995/KiCad-libs

so that might be half of the problem solved. I'm also going to need to get footprints for IV-8 and IV-11, so I'd be happy to contribute if the IV-8 does not turn out to be "ridiculously easy". I already have some other VFD footprints which I drew myself, but they are different. It's not a big deal to draw wire leaded components, the accuracy is not critical, and just putting the tongue in the corner of your mouth and squinting gets it close enough.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #9575 by Torsten Lang
Hi RedeyePete,
A circular pad layout is also very easy to be done in Altium: Draw the first pad the radius away from the zero point of your PCB library grid. Setup the PCB editor to the required angular step size as rotation angle. Then copy the pad and use the zero point as reference. When pasting use the zero point again as reference and press "space" to step the rotation angle by the configured value. That's it. That's how I made the NOVAL footprints for my clock.

Alternatively you may define a circular grid with the required parameters, e. g. as a secondary grid. I used this method to define pads for some power inductors.

Hope it helps,
Torsten
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Torsten Lang.

More
3 years 7 months ago #9576 by Ty_Eeberfest
Thank you Torsten. I suspected there was a way he could do it in Altium but not being familiar with that software I didn't know how. I am not having any luck getting my AutoCAD drawn footprints to import properly into any PCB software that I have here so Pete, I suggest you try Torsten's method to create your footprints "natively". The only thing I have been able to produce successfully is a .lib file from QCad but I have no reason to think it can be used in Altium.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
3 years 6 months ago #9577 by RedeyePete
Thank you for the advise Torsten.
I have now created a pad layout for the IN-8 and will do one shortly for the IV-11

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com