Looking for pad drawing for IV-8 Nixies and IV-11 VFDs

More
3 years 7 months ago #9558 by RedeyePete
After completing my Nixie clock and looking at the birds nest of wires, I decided that it would be nice to design a circuit board for it. But I am finding it hard to create a circular pad layout. I have once before created circuit boards for a customer but that was a very long time ago and I then vowed to never do it again. But this time its for me.
I am using (/learning) Altius and have not been able to find a library with anything similar.
There are some valve footprints available but they have the wrong diameter and too few pins, and I have not figured out yet how to modify.
So If anyone feels like lessening my pain, please let me know where I can fin the following:

11 pins with a diameter of 9.5mm. There is a gap so you could theoretically say that there are 12 pads evenly spaced.
The VFD has the same amount of pins and layout as above, but with a diameter of 12mm

Any help would be appreciated. Even a link to a guide on how to do a circular pad arrangement in Altius.
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #9560 by Ian
I could help you with KiCad stuff if you are not too far into Altius, or if there is an "import" mode. I've done IV-3 and IV-6 and will be doing and IV-8 and IV-11 in due course. Footprints are not hard (at least in KiCad) and don't have to be that exact, if that is any consolation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #9562 by Ty_Eeberfest
Perhaps another option: making a circular footprint in AutoCAD is ridiculously easy. If your CAD package has the ability to import from AutoCAD (probably .dxf format) I can make the footprint and send it to you.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
3 years 7 months ago #9563 by Ty_Eeberfest
Also - I've never heard of Altius. Did you perhaps mean to type Altium? If so, which product? Circuit Maker? Circuit Studio?

More
3 years 7 months ago #9570 by RedeyePete
Yes it’s Altium - Designer.
I keep getting the name wrong for some reason.
I could try to import an Autocad file, if it’s not too much trouble to you.
You might be interested – there is an online Valve & Nixie Socket Calculator which is nice, but it only outputs to Eagle or Osmond. It generates a text file. Interesting though.
I’m not sure if I can paste other web pages here so just Google “Valve & Nixie Socket Calculator”

More
3 years 7 months ago #9572 by Ty_Eeberfest
I will try to do it today. I may have shot my mouth off a bit prematurely about it being "ridiculously easy" but will do it if I can. Making the circular array of holes is indeed easy, running into a bit of an issue getting the PCB program (testing on KiCAD for now) to understand "this is a hole, but this is a pad" when I import it. I'll figure it out.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com