Suggestions for first nixie clock kit?

More
3 years 9 months ago #9265 by BOVindy
Howdy guys. It's great to find a forum for people interested in fantastic old tech like this. I have a small cache of nixie tubes that were recently given to me by a neighbor in exchange for some work. I have been wanting to put together a nixie tube clock for quite some time and finally have some spare time and cash to do so. I have a variety of tubes, but am planning on using zm1080 tubes for this one. I have a minimum list of features and was wondering if you guys could recommend a kit or build for my application.
Minimum:
cathode poisoning prevention
some form of gps/wifi/radio or high accuracy timekeeping (last clock I put together lost something like a minute per day)
12/24 hour clock function, with 6 nixies (hours/minutes/seconds
Optional but appreciated;
an alarm function, either with a speaker or some sort of internal bell or whistle.
temp/external outdoor temp
a volume knob for the alarm, possibly incorporating a dekatron
motion sensor to turn of when nobody is around
some form of easily swappable/replaceable nixie tubes
a remote control
*winning lottery numbers
*horoscope
*room service
*Swiss banking information
etc.
All kidding aside I'd like to put this clock together before December 25th, and any help that you guys could provide would be fantastic! Thank you for your time. -Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #9271 by Ty_Eeberfest
Hi Ben, and welcome.

I'm not aware of any kits that are made to directly accept ZM1080 tubes. But having said that...

One option for you would be the Modular clock kit designed and sold by Ian (owner of this site). His store is nixieclock.biz. Although not listed on his store, I know he has tube carrier boards available for the Modular that work with the Z57*M line of tubes. I believe (better ask Ian tho) that ZM1080 has pinout and pin spacing identical to the Z57*M and thus should work with those tube carriers.

I can vouch for the quality of the Modular kit. I'm pretty active in the Support forum on this site so I've had plenty of opportunities to dig into the circuit and the code. I think I understand the "guts" of the kit pretty well by now and can't find anything to complain about it.

He reads these forums but he's very busy, so if you don;t get a response here in a day or two you should probably try the Contact link on his store site.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
3 years 9 months ago #9276 by Ty_Eeberfest
I was able to confirm that ZM1080 tubes will work in the Z57*M tube carrier boards. Here's info showing that Z573M and ZM1080 are interchangeable. Scroll down to the bottom and check out the table right above the pinout diagram.

www.tube-tester.com/sites/nixie/data/z573m/z573m.htm

Modular kit with Z57*M tube carriers and the WiFi option would meet your minimum requirements. Motion sensing (PIR or radar) is available with that kit. The tube carriers plug into / unplug from the main board so in a sense tubes are swappable. No alarm, no lottery numbers, Swiss bank account negotiable. Coincidentally (or maybe not?) the kit is a product of Switzerland.

More
3 years 9 months ago #9277 by Ty_Eeberfest
To clarify "swappable in a sense" here is a picture. In my hand is a tube and its carrier board, unplugged form the clock to show the pins and sockets. Because these tubes have wire leads instead of pins, the tubes are soldered to the tube carrier boards.

Attachments:

More
3 years 9 months ago #9285 by BOVindy
Sounds pretty awesome. I'll send Ian an email. Yeah the 1080s are essentially 57**s with a nice red lacquer applied on the tube. I think they both have b13d pin socket styles. It looks like it's got a good set of features. The motion sensor or radar is more than I realistically expected. This clock is a Christmas gift, so I plan on having it done before December 24th... any idea what his lead and delivery times are? If this works out then I may purchase a few more for the in-18s and 1040s that I have lying around. -Thank you for your time. Ben

More
3 years 9 months ago #9286 by BOVindy
I also forgot to ask how the coding works. I can do hardware well/okayish... but my coding looks worse than a parakeet trying to give siri instructions... so yeah.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com