A couple of the latest clocks off the bench

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #9136 by Scott
Hello Ty,

I had this idea in my head for a couple of years and turning it into reality was always an ambition for me. I am glad it turned out the way it did and I am going to be loathe to part with it as my wife says I have too many clocks already!
Surely 5 clocks is not too many?

Roddy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marvin41

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #9137 by Marvin41
I know this problem, with me there are 10 Nixie Cloxks (5 IN-18 and 5 IN-14)
Last edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by Marvin41.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #9151 by judge

Marvin41 wrote: OK, I understand why you have little time left ;-)
I would also like to use some equipment from your workshop because I just miss the larger machinery.
but I am working on it.
Thanks for the link there are some things that I had not clarified in my next project, e.g. The connection of the IN-18 board by Pete I also have a housing from the 3D printer where I can not have the Nixies on board as well as a bamboo Nixie Clock also for it is usable.

I passed up the chance to get one of these (plus a bunch of associated tooling) at an estate sale

because it needs 240V (so I would have had to put in wiring for it), I would have had to get it out of a basement, which probably meant figuring out how to take it apart, and because, really, I have no idea how to use it! I got lessons on a Bridgeport once and was left pretty wary of going near one again.

The guy had a metal-working lathe too!

I need to find someone like this while they are still alive, so I can get some practice on the machines. I'm already seeing the limitations of the drill press I have, and I've only really used it a handful of times. The table is too small to easily set up a jig, there is some side-to-side play in the head and the end stop forces the head to one side a little when it hits the stop.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #9152 by Marvin41
Hello judge,

sometimes you realize afterwards what a chance life offered.
Always look forward to see you and continue to live

More
10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #9153 by Scott
Hartmut & Judge,

old machines of that kind often need a lot of rebuilding to get them back to the accuracy that they once had but they are a good investment for any workshop. Often older equipment was better made and made to last as well. As milling machine like that would make any parts fabrication a pleasure.
The hobby lathe and milling machine that I use are nowhere near perfect accuracy as there is a lot of slop in the travels but I am well used to their idiosyncrasies by now and can compensate for them. I took apart the DROs on the lathe today as they had stopped working a while back and now have them running again so it can stop using the 6" ruler for sizes now!
I am self-taught with the equipment I use and can now more or less make any part I need for my clocks. One of the indispensable accessories I bought was a rotary table and a set of indexing disks for it. I only have one 3 jaw chuck that I share between the lathe and milling machine but I get by.
It took a good few years to build up my tool collection and one thing I really must do is buy a temperature controlled soldering iron as my little Antex has seen better days but is still up to the task!

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by Scott. Reason: Spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marvin41

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #9641 by jonboy
That’s a great use of Venetian blind wood, I really like that.
That’s the design for my next build!!
Great work

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com