Looking for library NixieBeta4.h

More
3 years 9 months ago #9128 by Ty_Eeberfest
Sounds like it should work then. Did you catch what Ian said above about certain pins on the 595? He said: "There is one other gotcha with the 595. You need to set up the !SRCLR (pin10) and the !OE (pin13) correctly. For normal operation, pin13 needs to be held low and pin10 needs to be held high." I agree with him but had forgotten all about that.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #9130 by RedeyePete
Yes those 2 pins caught me out, but I realized the omission earlier today and rectified.
I am finally able to control the display for the nixies - just!
So major achievement here....yey!
My challenge now is to send more than 1 digit.
Currently it repeats itself, ie - HH = MM = SS (Eg: 08.08.08) I do understand that this is because I am only pushing out 1 digit and its then shifting out to the other registers through the looping routine.

I am trying to stick with the same sketch (the 2nd one I pasted above) as its simple and I understand it.
so far: shiftOut(DataPin, ClockPin, MSBFIRST, 8);
results in: 80.80.80
But that's as far as I got. If I use LSBFIRST or put in a larger number then I can get a change in the Right Hand Side digit, but the number does not correlate to what I entered. I'm sure it does, but I have not worked that out yet.
Well I've been at it for 10 hours now, so time to do other things.

More
3 years 9 months ago #9138 by RedeyePete
I tried to make sense of the code you posted, but it's beyond me.
I worked out that if I do 3 shiftout's I can get 40.50.60 from:
shiftOut(DataPin, ClockPin, MSBFIRST, 6);
shiftOut(DataPin, ClockPin, MSBFIRST, 5);
shiftOut(DataPin, ClockPin, MSBFIRST, 4);
So some progress

More
3 years 9 months ago #9139 by RedeyePete
I figured out how to output the clock to the display, but need to swap the digits H<->H; M<->M; S<->S.
The other issue is I have to figure out how to output in the right format.
At the moment 0-9 = ok,
10 to 15 = blank
16 displays as 10 (actually back to front right now shows 01)
So I have to change the output from decimal to binary. I think that's correct terminology.

More
3 years 9 months ago #9140 by Ty_Eeberfest
I'm not at all sure I'm understanding what you are doing. I assume you have 8 '595s strung end to end, right? That's 64 bits in total: 6 tubes * 10 digits per tube = 60 bits, plus 4 that are just extra. So it's probably simplest to build everything up in an int64 (QWord) and then break it down into 8 chunks of 8 bits to be fed to 8 shiftOut() calls.

I don't know if that answers your question or not, and I realize it's not a real clear description, but I don't even know how to explain it in detail without drawing diagrams.

More
3 years 9 months ago #9141 by Ty_Eeberfest
Actually, without seeing a schematic I could be leading you down a dead end path. It occurs to me that there are a number of different ways '595s could be interfaced to tubes. The main question is whether 7441s (BCD to 1-of-10) are being used, e.g. the '595s are expected to put out BCD to satisfy the 7441s. If so, how many 74141s? One per tube or is there some sort of multiplexing scheme going on. Or if there are no 7441s, perhaps the '595s outputs are driving the tubes through nothing but transistors, in which case the '595s would be expected to put out 1-of-10.

The code is significantly different depending on what the '595s are supposed to be outputting since code controls that.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com