Help with vintage Nixie Tube Clock

More
2 years 9 months ago #7367 by NixieDave
Here are the close ups you wanted Ian. The two black wires appear to connect to the advancing button. I tried hooking them up, and I was able to get the high speed oscillator to advance the numbers. I do see a F logo which seems like it could be a Fairchild chip as was suggested. That is worrisome that the part may not be available. I'll try to test the connections tomorrow with my volt meter. Thanks everyone!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #7368 by Ty_Eeberfest
Thanks for the info Micah! Those Fairchild ICs are almost before my time and I never actually used any. I got started in the hobby when TTL first started finding its way down to local electronics stores. Which reminds me... I got my first B-7971 tubes about the same time for 50 cents apiece including sockets, most probably Lectrascan pulls, at "IC Electronics Inc." in Orange California.

As for Fairchild, in case anybody else wonders about those parts, I'll just leave these here...

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
Attachments:

More
2 years 9 months ago #7369 by Ty_Eeberfest
Let me just add... the 946 turns out to be a quad 2-input NAND gates chip. The way they're connected in Dave's circuit they appear to operate as simple inverters. Perhaps they are serving a secondary purpose of level shifting, not sure, haven't looked into it deeply.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #7370 by Ian
Blimey, DTL... That adds a whole new layer of coolness onto the clock. The whole "you can't buy that any more" thing is very attractive. :)

Anyone not familiar with DTL: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode%E2%80%93transistor_logic

That makes it sound like I am familiar with DTL, but I have heard of it only from waay back, and have never used it.

@Dave: Where are we up to on fixing the clock up. I read from your message that the "fast forward" is working fine. Does that mean that my suspicion of an invalid initial state appears to be correct?
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Ian.

More
2 years 9 months ago #7371 by Accutron
Yes, the CTL/DTL are actually very rare and desirable. Mostly you will find such parts in computers and high end desktop calculators from the latter half of the 1960s, devices which are generally in the $1000-and-up unobtainium range in terms of collector value and rarity.

Micah Mabelitini
www.decadecounter.com

More
2 years 9 months ago #7379 by NixieDave
Ian, yesterday was a busy day, so I haven't had a chance to get back to it. I'll be able to play around with it some more later this week or the weekend. I'll let you know once I test some of those circuits. I'm thinking I should measure resistance, right? I'm new to the circuit testing world. Dad taught me some basics when I was a kid, and some of that is coming back (he passed away 20 years ago) but I'm watching as many YouTube videos as I can!

As far as the replacement of those circuits goes, I imagine that gateway function can be replicated with another chipset, correct? I think I should be able to swap chips out, as they are in sockets and not soldered in. I have to say, I miss Radio Shack (from when it was a hobby store, and not a cell phone store).

I'll keep you all posted.
D

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com