Here's today's installment And yes, I do realize that the displays' front lenses are covered with grimy finger prints - I just didn't notice it until I was sorting the photos.
Next I need to work on the code. Temporarily, to test the hardware, it's running a copy of the code I wrote for my IN-18 chiming clock, tweaked just enough to cope with the different shift registers.
After that I need to come up with a case idea. The rails in the pictures may or may not be temporary... I made those to 1) hold the displays while I did the board to board jumpering, and 2) to see if I could, with available tools, lay out and drill holes accurately enough to look good. 6 holes in a perfectly straight line, evenly spaced, ain't so easy without a Bridgeport Those holes are pretty damn visible and any slop would look awful.
Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.