Re: Tiny universal clock PCB

More
8 years 4 months ago #5162 by cf8m
Replied by cf8m on topic Re: Tiny universal clock PCB
hi have a look at www.arduinix.com i dont know how to put a proper link to the site so that is just their web address it may not be what you are after but it worth a look

steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nisei

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #5166 by mjsangster
Not sure what the market would be for a small direct drive board with no Nixie sockets/solder receptacles. A small run of boards would be expensive - soldering smd is not for everyone, either.

The board can be made very small, but requires a bundle of at least 61 wires. Connectors can not be too small, they are unable to handle the high voltage.

A multiplex design would require a smaller number of wires, but with the disadvantages of multiplex design.

What size board were you thinking of? Would it include High voltage supply, too?

- Michael Sangster
Cold War Creations

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #5393 by Nisei
Replied by Nisei on topic Re: Tiny universal clock PCB

cf8m wrote: hi have a look at www.arduinix.com i dont know how to put a proper link to the site so that is just their web address it may not be what you are after but it worth a look

Thanks Steve, that surely looks interesting. I'll have to do some reading and see if it's a solution.

mjsangster wrote: Not sure what the market would be for a small direct drive board with no Nixie sockets/solder receptacles. A small run of boards would be expensive - soldering smd is not for everyone, either.
What size board were you thinking of? Would it include High voltage supply, too?

As I see it, most builders are reinventing the wheel every time they're building a clock. Thus making kits quite expensive for all the effort they've made to design it. If there was 1 tiny module which can do all the basics you need for building a clock there would be no need to come up with a new PCB design for every clock.
My wish would be a board including high voltage supply for multiplexed tubes (to keep it small). I think 24 pin outputs for tubes + LEDs would suffice.
And the tinier the board, the cheaper the costs for a small run. I'm not sure why you think a small run of boards would be expensive. It's quite cheap.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Nisei.

More
8 years 4 months ago #5395 by mjsangster
I'm thinking more of the one time engineering costs of the board, not the cost of the board itself.

I am, however, thinking of selling a universal board.

Are you thinking of a pre-programmed board, or a board with no software at all (do it yourself)?

- Michael Sangster
Cold War Creations

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #5396 by Nisei
Replied by Nisei on topic Re: Tiny universal clock PCB
I have little technical knowledge so a pre-programmed board would be best. As I mentioned in my previous posts, the size of the board is most important for me. I don't care for fancy GPS and alarms and all (although looking at the tiny IN-17 board from kosbo, an alarm should be possible).
If keeping the clock and the high voltage supply on 2 separate boards can drastically reduce the size then that would be an option as well of course. I'm thinking 2x 2.5"x1.5" boards at most. This should make it possible to use most (vintage) alarm clock cases and convert them to nixie.

Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Nisei.

More
8 years 4 months ago #5406 by mjsangster
What kind of price range were you thinking? I believe I can design a board that would meet your specs.

Also, what kind of connections/connectors between the board and the nixie tubes? I'm thinking of standard 26 position 0.100" duel row headers. This would also allow wires directly soldered to the board.

The board would have:
* 3X2 multiplexing (2 tubes on at a time), up to 6 tubes
* 3.5mA max current per digit
* support for 2-4 colons
* Hv power supply, 180v @ 15mA
* input supply: 9 -15 VDC, 300mA (200mA if Hv < 10 mA)
* auto brightness control, external temperature reading
* super capacitor or battery backup of time
* digit crossfade, slot machine, sliding options
* 2 button control
* optional alarm output & alarm enable/disable

- Michael Sangster
Cold War Creations
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nisei

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com