B&F Enterprises "Digital Clock" flakes out

More
3 years 8 months ago #7190 by Pacman223
Nice follow up.

I think that's a great looking clock! Nice to see it working

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #7208 by Dr. Optigan
Thanks for the reply. I find this clock rather fascinating, since it comes from a time when true digital clocks were a rarity, at least outside of industrial settings. Direct-readout clocks did exist at the time, largely in the form of ' flip clocks ' and ' cyclometers ' (a real term!), but those were mechanical at heart, of course. Even the earliest nixie tube clocks were electromechanical, since they used stepping relays and other motorized means in order to advance the seconds/minutes/hours.

I have a further follow-up to this story, BTW. Last month, I attended another iteration of the same hamfest where I found the B&F nixie clock several years ago. While perusing the aisles, what should I spot on a table outside a seller's camping trailer but another B&F Enterprises nixie clock! It sported a price tag of $15, plus a sticker stating that some of the digits weren't working. When I asked the seller, he said that it wasn't for sale, and that he'd picked it up for himself earlier in the day. All I could do was wish him the best of luck, since he's going to need it. On the plus side, I did manage to snag a sextet of Burroughs B-5440 nixie tubes for around $5. Don't know much about them; each tube is attached to a black plastic base or socket, the pins of which seem to have never been soldered to before. Should make for a nice clock. B)
-Adam
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Dr. Optigan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ty_Eeberfest

More
5 months 2 weeks ago - 5 months 2 weeks ago #11129 by JIMO
Hello Adam,
I have a B&F clock like yours and it has been reworked a little with some added switches for 12/24 hours and a display disable, with selectable 4 digit or 6 digit or display off operation. I am a clock collector and refurbisher (JIMO415 on YouTube) but this clock came from a new buddy of mine who does the same. He updated the caps and repaired some stuff before I talked him out of this clock. I just noticed the documentation that you posted and thank you for that. I missed it the first few times I scanned through your thread. I like to collect the documentation to go with all my clocks! I am glad your clock seems to be working better!! If you have anything clock related that you like to find a new home for, just let me know.
See JIMO415 on youtube
Enjoy,
Jim
Last edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by JIMO.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com