nixie VU meter

More
6 years 11 months ago #3462 by gideon
nixie VU meter was created by gideon
i love my nixie clock from PV-electronics and while i'm waiting for the parts to build a nice headphone amplifier i was thinking that it would be nice to make a VU meter with IN-9 or IN-13 tubes. does anyone have a design (preferably without micro controllers) that works. i'm not looking for exact measurements, it's more for the visual effect.

i heard some things about using the LM3915 to do this but i have no idea how to use this with these tubes as the LM3015 is made for LED displays.

preferably it would be something with an OPAMP and a transistor like the MPSA42. just plain and simple :)

any hints or suggestions?

p.s. i know about the "that2252" but it's hard to come by and i prefer to use common parts so that if something breaks i don't have to search everywhere for obsolete parts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #3465 by gideon
Replied by gideon on topic nixie VU meter
vicsys.hu/files/pop_p0141_000.html i stubled upon this schematic, what is the general opinion about it?

More
6 years 10 months ago #3467 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic nixie VU meter
Looks like it should work. However, I don't see anything in that circuit that performs linear - logarithmic conversion function, so it's not gonna be accurate.

I also don't understand why OP2 and OP4 are needed (though they don't cost anything since they're part of the LM324 already). They look like they are functioning as unity gain non-inverting amplifiers, so what is the point? Maybe somebody here can help me out for my own education?

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
6 years 10 months ago #3468 by gideon
yes it looks like a unity gain buffer, you "could" make that a lin to log converter with a simple diode in the feedback path. i don't really see why it can't be done and it would be a nice addition.

More
6 years 10 months ago #3473 by gideon
nobody has done this or has a nice idea?

• Mr.Nixie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #3474 by Mr.Nixie
Replied by Mr.Nixie on topic nixie VU meter
Why not using simple 2 x 24V 40mA bulbs as series resisitor for the IN-9.
Due to their filament temperature depending resistance it is possible to create a simple (but not fully exact) lin to log conversion

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Mr.Nixie.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Search

Tube Suppliers

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com