Neon

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #226 by william
Neon was created by william
I was wondering about neon and where in hell does it come from?? How do they get it?
Looks like huge amounts of air are liquified and processed in some way to collect the neon as it boils off.

Neon is the chemical element that has the symbol Ne and an atomic number of 10. Although a very common element in the universe, it is rare on Earth. A colourless, inert noble gas under standard conditions, neon gives a distinct reddish-orange glow when used in discharge tubes and neon lamps and advertising signs. It is commercially extracted from air, in which it is found in trace amounts.

Neon boiling temps:
27.07 K, -246.08 °C, -410.94 °F

Damn near absolute zero!
:ohmy:
Stable forms of neon are produced in stars. It is created in fusing helium and oxygen in the alpha process, which requires temperatures above 100 megakelvin and masses greater than 3 solar masses. Then it is blasted out into space in a huge supernova so that planets like the Earth can collect a bit of it from the gas and dust left over from the supernova blast.

All you really need is a Nixie Clock with Big Numbers
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by william.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #244 by Stuckey
Replied by Stuckey on topic Re: Neon
Isn't most commercial neon simply filtered out of breathing air? Time for me to research it!

I don't know why, but your post made me think of this: www.geeksaresexy.net/2007/12/13/superflu...asses-through-glass/

"If the laws of physics don't apply in the future, then god help you."
www.ineedcaffeine.com
www.facebook.com/brian.stuckey
twitter.com/brianstuckey

More
11 years 10 months ago #245 by Stuckey
Replied by Stuckey on topic Re: Neon
"Neon can be obtained from air by fractional distillation. The first step in fractional distillation of air is to change a container of air to a liquid. The liquid air is then allowed to warm up. As the air warms, each element in air changes from a liquid back to a gas at a different temperature. The portion of air that changes back to a gas at -245.92°C is neon."

Read more: www.chemistryexplained.com/elements/L-P/Neon.html#ixzz10D96eTwZ

"If the laws of physics don't apply in the future, then god help you."
www.ineedcaffeine.com
www.facebook.com/brian.stuckey
twitter.com/brianstuckey

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com