Kabtronics Transistor Nixie Clock

More
9 years 9 months ago #2031 by neonglass
Just completed build a Kabtronics Nixie Clock kit. A true challenge with almost 3000 solder connections. Now I have to work on a better way to display it rather than hanging it from a nail in my workshop :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stuckey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mr.Nixie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #2032 by Mr.Nixie
Replied by Mr.Nixie on topic Re: Kabtronics Transistor Nixie Clock
Wow, and I'm the next guy who will assemble such a clock. The kit is on its way to Germany...

More
9 years 9 months ago #2036 by mathewbeall
I finished my build as well! It was fun to build but definitely took some time! That heatsink sure gets hot doesn't it!

I also have mine in the garage - but screwed into the wall with standoffs.

Matt

More
9 years 6 months ago #2379 by mike31416
Just finished mine last weekend. It took about 40 hours which included reading, counting, sorting and preparing parts for the assembly as well as inspection after part placement and testing.

The kit was package well and the layout easy to follow. The documentation was good but you need to have some electronics experience and be good with a soldering iron.

My brother is going to make me a "clockish" looking case something like Ron O's on www.kabtronics.com/kabtronics_005.htm

Did have one small issue. It seems that no matter where I place the a display off diode, the display turns off when the diode is not in the current hour's display disable position. I put a 100K pull down from ground to the side of R287 opposite the base of Q125 and it seems to fix the problem.

Mike

More
9 years 6 months ago #2410 by mike31416
Here is a link to my blog post on building the Kabtronics Nixie Transistor Clock.

Nixie Transistor Clock

Mike

More
9 years 6 months ago #2413 by Stuckey
That's awesome. Nice modification with the on/off time. I didn't realize they were hard set like that. Are you just going to have little sockets to add/remove them as needed?

Also, I had no idea that this drew 16W while on! I know there are a lot of discrete components but that was still surprising.

"If the laws of physics don't apply in the future, then god help you."
www.ineedcaffeine.com
www.facebook.com/brian.stuckey
twitter.com/brianstuckey

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com