Avo meter - 4 digit wemos in-12 help, please.

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #13193 by Swany
Thanks Ty, you've been a great help.

I was reading the manual wrong, page 15 refers to a blue led behind the 10 second nixie, I believe it is the blue led behind nixie number 2 for the hours.

Grabbed my phone as soon as this lit, found it ok, router now has a new IP address, so figured it was this, entered this IP in a browser, clock all set now for wifi..

Just have a small niggle to fix, not major but the led s have a slight flicker, may be dodgy soldering! I had to solder wires to the pcb where the led's should have gone, so I coud mount the led's behind the nixie tube holders.

Really appreciate your time.

Cheers.

Lee

"This step sets up the clocks access to your WiFi and lets it start up and show a display. To complete this step you should have the display board finished and installed on the clock. Start the clock and wait for the LED behind the “10 X Seconds” digit to turn blue. This means that the clock has gone into “Access Mode”. It will remain in “Access Mode” at least 60 seconds."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #13194 by Ty_Eeberfest
I'm glad this situation is now sorted! I now see what you mean about the manual referring to the wrong LED - didn't quite notice it til you pointed it out. I suspect an edit was missed while making a 4 digit manual from a 6 digit manual.

Regarding the flickering LEDs, does the flicker persist if you set the LEDs to display a constant color with no fading and no cycling? If yes, it's probably (maybe?) something to do with connections. If no, you may be seeing the same thing I sometimes see on my Numitron clocks: visible PWM flicker or "steppy-ness" when dimming and/or color cycling the LEDs.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #13195 by Swany
Thanks Ty, you are obviously very knowledgeable re these clock builds, yes, I think the intermittent flicker is as you say PWM.

I remember spending a lot of time on the soldering to make sure it was good, all leds show hints of flicker at times but steady when on a solid colour.

I have another old knackered AVO meter, but the case is good, I wonder what I could do with this  .

Starting to get the hang of these builds now, I think!!!

Cheers Ty

Regards
Lee

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #13196 by Ty_Eeberfest
Actually I misspoke when I said it's PWM flicker. The actual culprit is the "steppy" nature of the color-to-color fades. I'm not sure what the story behind this is. It looks like most (all?) of the Wemos designs are like this but none of the Arduino ones are.

As for being knowledgeable, well, I've been doing electronic stuff as a hobby off and on since I was a kid. I guess some of the acquired knowledge stuck - lol.

Anyhow, sounds like you've get things under control now. If I can think of any good ideas for the other meter I'll add them to this thread. I must say though that I'm much better at the electronics that at thinking up cool case designs. That's probably why there are 2 Numitron kits and 2 Modular Nixie kits sitting here finished and running but case-less. One of these days I'll do something with them!

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
3 weeks 18 hours ago #13203 by Ian
The background behind the "steppiness" is that at low brightness levels, there are only a few values that cover the "very dim" settings. The LEDs are super-efficient at low power levels, and it's hard to get them to seem "off". I'm using a LED curve to try and manage it a bit better, but the NeoPixels only have 255 steps and that's not really enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ty_Eeberfest

More
3 weeks 36 minutes ago #13205 by Swany
Thanks Ian, I think it actually adds to the effect of the clock, so don't mind it.

I've ordered another 3 clock kits, looking forward to building these 

Cheers
Lee

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com