Avo meter - 4 digit wemos in-12 help, please.

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #13182 by Swany
Managed to get hold of an old non working AVO meter to convert to a clock.
The dial scale is a re-print, nixies from Ukraine, holders from Bulgaria, any other parts used from the stripped out components from the AVO meter.

Had to use a lot of wiring for the conversion, all seems to be working.

LED's mounted on board then stuck behind the tube holders.

Issue is cannot connect to the internet, blue led on the wifi board every so often, but my router does not see it.

Is there anything I can check?
I can manually set the time.

Thanks.

Lee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 weeks 3 hours ago #13184 by Ty_Eeberfest
Cool looking clock!

Now... about your networking problem, can you give me a hint as to what the problem is, i.e. where in the process do things go wrong? Were you successful in joining the clock to your network by connecting to the clock when it is being an access point and entering your network credentials?

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #13186 by Swany
Thanks for the reply Ty.

My router does not see this device.

I have another two nixie clocks that have 192.168.0.49 and 192.168.0.51 addresses.

This one, I think goes through all the POST's then reverts to the RTC.

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the clock but would love if I can get the wifi working.

Thanks.
Lee

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #13188 by Ty_Eeberfest
Okay I guess I will take that answer as implying that you DID successfully join it to your network, right? As in, you got through the process of initially connecting to the clock with some "device" (when clock is being an access point), entering the SSID and password for your WiFi, restarting.

This sounds more like an issue with the network that with the clock. Have you checked your router to make sure there are IP addresses available (DHCP address pool not set too small)? How about security settings, specifically a setting that goes by various names that white/black-lists MAC addresses? Maybe you need to white-list the MAC of the new clock?

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how you know that the clock reverts to the RTC after power-up, as opposed to it getting time set by the WiFi module. Also, regarding the blue LED, what exactly is it doing? If it "blips" once per second then it's seeing a time server somewhere.

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #13189 by Swany
Hi Ty.

Thanks for the reply.

No have been unable to connect this particular clock to wifi.
My router does not see this device, but does see another clock(s) I have powered up.

This is the 4 digit version, has a different wi fi module to my modular in-14 clock. This module has 2 rows of pins, a reset button and what looks like a connector for a USB.

The clock is fitted with a battery cell, which I think keeps the time for the RTC which I entered manually by pressing the button.

When the clock is powered on, going by the manual it goes through a POST check, LED colours behind each digit mean something.

Not sure if the wifi module is faulty.

With my other clocks my router see's the devices, I then take this IP address and can log into the clock, set time and preferences etc. But this one I cannot do this.

The blue led on the wifi module maybe blinks every 10 seconds or so.

Thanks.

Lee

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #13190 by Ty_Eeberfest
Hi Lee,

On a Wemos clock that module with the reset button & USB connector and so forth is not just for WiFi - it's actually the CPU that runs the whole clock as well. Given that the clock works I doubt the module is bad.

I think we need to get clear on some terminology:

No have been unable to connect this particular clock to wifi. 

To me that means that the initial setup where you use your phone (or whatever, but let's say "phone" for convenience) to connect to the "captive portal" fails. But then you say:

My router does not see this device, 

which confuses me because your router does not participate in this initial setup procedure. The idea behind the setup procedure is that your phone gets temporarily connected to an Access Point being presented by the clock itself, rather than being connected to your normal access point (your router in this case).

So tell me... have you attempted the setup procedure as described starting on Page 15 of this manual:  www.nixieclock.biz/Downloads/4-Digit-User-Manual-V8.pdf  ?? If not, you need to do it before anything WiFi will work. If you did attempt it, what happened? At what stage of the procedure did things go wrong?

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com