MNC6 wifi board

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #13157 by Thesh111t
MNC6 wifi board was created by Thesh111t
Hello everyone. I have a pair of MNC6 clocks and they have been together for a few months. I attempted to make some changes to the dimming settings and it looks like the WIFI board stopped working again. Does anyone know the part number of the board so I fan order a few online. Something tells me this is going to be an ongoing issue. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #13158 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic MNC6 wifi board
The physical module is an ESP-01 module readily available on eBay, Amazon, Ali, etc. Note that I said ESP-01, not ESP-01S. The -01S is similar but different enough to be a problem. But this is just the hardware. In order to do anything useful you would need to flash it with firmware from the MNC6 section, Code Repository WiFi link, on this page: www.nixieclock.biz/Manuals.html

If you don't want to mess with it and just want to buy ready-to-run WiFi modules you can buy them for US$10 at Ian's store site here: www.nixieclock.biz/StoreMNC6.html Very bottom of the page.

Having said all that, are you sure the WiFi module is bad? Or could this be a problem of some sort with your network? I ask because I have 2 of Ian's clocks here with WiFI modules, as well as having the same WiFi modules cobbled on to several clocks of my own design. They work fine for long periods of time except that if there's been a power cut they may not reconnect without a manual power cycle. That's because the WiFI module boots faster than my access point so the module sees no network when it comes up. Power cycling the clock once the network is stable fixes it.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #13159 by Thesh111t
Replied by Thesh111t on topic MNC6 wifi board
Thanks for the i put. Yes I'm pretty sure it's the board and not the network. I have 2 of these clocks and the other is still working as it should. The WIFI never was interrupted, but I've power cycled the clock in hopes that a reboot would solve the problem. This is the 2nd board I've had fail in the 4 or so months I've had the clocks running. 1 board in the other clock failed after a couple of weeks, and now this one in the 2nd clock. I dont have the hardware to program the board so I guess I'll just order it from his page. Shipping from the his shop to the US is a killer. I may have to get the hardware and save myself some money down the road. I mean perhaps it was just a bad batch of boards? But if I'm only going to get a few months out of then, it's gonna be a bummer. Can you think of anything I can check or change in the clock itself? Maybe there is an issue causing the boards to fail in short order?

More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #13160 by Ty_Eeberfest
There isn't much I can think of regarding the clock killing WiFi modules. The ESP's I/O lines are 5V tolerant so even if the level shifters weren't shifting it wouldn't kill the ESP. You could try checking supply voltage on Pin 8 of the module, it should be 3.3V. If it's high that could be a problem since the ESP is not 5V tolerant on it's supply.

You should probably talk this over with Ian before you order anything. If there is something going on that I don't know of, like maybe a bad batch of WiFI modules, maybe he'll send you a new one. Couldn't hurt to ask. How did you get a replacement the last time you had one fail? EDIT: Cancel that question - I just re-read the old thread where this came up.

The thing with those ESPs is that they're not available from any big-name reputable vendors who would be expected to do some sort of QC testing on the product. So it's all about dealing direct with the Chinese (even if the parts are being shipped from some US warehouse) so no communication and probably no QC. All I'm saying is that a bad batch is definitely possible. America, via eBay, is often China's dumpster. EDIT: Correction - The West, via eBay, is often China's dumpster.

If you end up deciding to buy "blank" ESPs I can point you to programming hardware (<= $10, one-time purchase) and software. I will even make a pre-compiled binary of the firmware for you if you don't want to mess with installing and setting up the Arduino IDE. Let me know.

Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Ty_Eeberfest.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #13161 by Thesh111t
Replied by Thesh111t on topic MNC6 wifi board
Thanks for the tips. I'll check the voltages at those pins when I get home from work today. It's too late, I already ordered 2 boards from Ian (i ordered 2 because the shipping to the US is nearly as much as 1 board, so ahipping 2 kinda made me feel better about paying that much in shipping), but I should still reach out to him to make him aware of the "issue". As for the extra wifi board, I ordered 2 clock kits originally to help my son learn to solder, he made some mistakes and damaged the first board so I ordered another kit. So when the first wifi board failed, I had parts from the "spare" kit to steal from. If I have another wifi board fail, I'll reach out to you about the hardware to program my own. I'm all honesty I hope I just got unlucky with the 2 thst have failed and have no further issues. Thanks again for all the help

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #13162 by Ty_Eeberfest
Yeah, after I wrote that post I went and re-read the old thread where we talked about this and figured out how you got a replacement module last time.

By all means contact Ian about this matter. He may be watching this thread and he may not be, so an email would be good.

If you need anything further from me just post to this thread and I'll be notified....

The following user(s) said Thank You: Thesh111t

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com