First nixie clock build, struggling to set the time - help, please.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #13142 by Swany
Thanks Ty, looks like it is pin 26 on the mega8 for the PIR, going to carry out a few checks later today, just strange that it was all working for hours, then not, hopefully a loose connection. I did notice that the header pin connectors were a bit loose, so possibly an issue there.

Cheers
Lee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #13143 by Swany
Something strange just happened, before I went out, I switched the clock on, PIR not working.

left it and checked after 5 mins, tubes out but leds all blue.

Powered off and on, now in test mode, nixies scrolling 0 through 9. Default time. Bur PIR now working.

Looks like the clock reset itself. Just need to set the correct time again.

Does anyone else have this random reset issue happening?

Thanks

Lee

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #13144 by Walter John
It really sounds like a bad soldering joint somewhere where heat causes this problem. I would suggest to quicky resolder all joints on the PCB and cables. With a 300 degrees Celsius small soldering tip quickly melt all soldering joints, Apply a little bit extra solder where necessary. Also change the power supply with another one (with the correct voltage and current output). Also post a high-res picture of the front and back of PCB (as high-resolution as possible).
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Walter John.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #13145 by Ty_Eeberfest

John King wrote: Also change the power supply with another one (with the correct voltage and current output).

This ^^^^^^

I can't even begin to count all the times that weird random clock behaviours have turned out to be caused by undersized or just plain sketchy power supplies.

Just remember that when you change power supplies you need to do a factory reset on the clock and let it go through the HV calibration routines, otherwise you're likely to end up with a hot MOSFET.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #13148 by Swany
Thanks Ty, new PSU ordered.
I have noticed the current supply, sometimes I had to unplug and plug back in to get the clock powered up. Also I did have a very hot mosfet, Just switched off and on and it resolved itself. I didn't know if you swap PSU's you had to factory reset, so thanks for that.

Regards
Lee

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #13149 by Swany
Thanks John, I will re-visit my soldering just in case. I was using a 9vdc 1000mA PSU, I have ordered another 9vdc unit but rated 1500mA.

I also have a bench PSU that I can use and set the current supplied. I have noticed that the clock never tops 500mA, but thought getting a 500mA rated PSU would be a bit borderline.

If I don't have any luck I will try and get Hi-res pics of the PCB posted.

Cheers
Lee

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com