First nixie clock build, struggling to set the time - help, please.

More
3 months 6 days ago #13097 by Swany
Firstly this is my first post and first clock build, thanks for taking the time to read.

Purchased via Ebay a few weeks back a IN14 full clock kit with wifi.

Many thanks to Ian who via email has gotten me this far in the build.

The issue I now have is -

I am finding it difficult to connect to the wifi module.
At first when I initially switched on, the tubes and leds were going through the test routine and the wifi module blue led was flashing rapidly without stopping.

Now I managed to connect to nixie with my phone then the captive portal opened up, I then clicked configure wifi and chose the wifi network that I would like the clock to access, a progress bar appeared, but this looked like it froze, left for a few minutes but nothing happened.

Tried again using numerous devices but now I can’t connect to nixie and I can’t open the captive portal. While my device is trying to connect to Nixie, the blue light will go solid or off then flash rapidly when the connection fails, the password is correct, tried a wrong password and I was informed wrong password entered, my devices displays network access denied / failed.

The strange thing is when I switched the clock on the next day, it displayed 03:56:00 then 12:35:00 – this appears to be the time as the seconds are going up, it stays on for a few minutes and then the tubes go blank. The red led’s under the tubes also flash every second or so.

When I press the button 01:03:17 is displayed, press it again and 00:00:10 is displayed.

I have since powered on while holding the button, I am now back to the test routine, nixies scrolling through the numbers LED's scrolling through the colours.

Do you have any ideas on how to resolve? Is the wifi module faulty?

I have since purchased another full kit / wifi version from the Italian store as someone is interested in this clock and I feel competent to build another.

The website has different versions of the wifi module, if I need to replace the module, which version do I need?

Many thanks guy's, hoping you can help to resolve this.

Cheers
Lee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 5 days ago #13098 by Ty_Eeberfest
First, in regard to it going blank after a short while, do you have the LDR (light sensor) connected? Properly connected? By default these clocks are set to "Use LDR" with a very low "LDR Minimum Dim". If the LDR isn't right the clock will dim to a very low level, perhaps too dim to see, shortly after power-up.

As for connecting the WiFi, I'm not sure what is going on there. Have you checked your WiFi router to see if it might already be connected? From your description I can't quite figure out if it's unable to connect to your network or it's connected but cannot contact a time server.

Also, if you are seeing an access point called Nixie but can't connect to it you should probably do a "Forget This Network" on your device, i.e. get rid of any password the device might have saved for the Nixie network,

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
3 months 5 days ago #13099 by Swany
Hi, thanks for the reply.
I'm sure the LDR is connected properly, as per my first post when this happened -

"The strange thing is when I switched the clock on the next day, it displayed 03:56:00 then 12:35:00 – this appears to be the time as the seconds are going up, it stays on for a few minutes and then the tubes go blank. The red led’s under the tubes also flash every second or so."

When i covered the LDR the tubes got brighter, then dimmer when un-covered.

I have tried forgetting this network.

Just seems strange that initially I was able to access the portal, but then it froze when trying to connect to a network, now I can't access anything.

I have since reset, I assume the reset is holding the button while powering on, not sure if the wifi module needs to be reset or is this possible?

I have used 2 different phones, 2 laptops and a PC to try and connect to the portal.

I have ordered another On-Board WiFi Time Provider V2 from the EU site, I will see if this helps.

The wifi module knows when I am trying to connect to it looking at the blue LED status.

I'm sure I checked the router to see if it was connected, but couldn't see an entry for the clock, but I will try again tonight.

Thanks.
Lee

More
3 months 5 days ago #13100 by Walter John
Do you use WiFi extenders or boosters ? Switch those off so that you only have one acces point in the house being your original WiFi router. In that case the phone/tablet/PC can acces the ESP module through one router without having to go through different extenders/boosters. This was an issue at my place. Reset the clock. Follow exact the instructions in the Wifi manual. Check within the routers webpage if you see a device called ESP, but I understand you did that allready.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian

More
3 months 5 days ago #13101 by Swany
Thanks John

I will try this, I do have 3 or 4 wifi extenders / access points that I can turn off.

Cheers
Lee

More
3 months 4 days ago #13102 by Ian
That's a good point with the extenders. I've never thought about that before.

In any case, I'll send you another module to test with, just in case there is a problem with the one you have. It is not unknown for the modules to be faulty.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com