Wrong display two numbers at the same time on different digits.

More
4 months 6 days ago #12950 by ebretteville
Hye,

For some days, on couple of digits, I have both 2and 3 numbers displays at the same time, any ideas why or what can make this thing occuring?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 6 days ago #12951 by Ty_Eeberfest
What model of clock and what kind of tubes?

If the clock has been working fine for a while and then this problem appeared I can only think of 2 possible causes:

1) One of the tubes has developed an internal short between the 2 and 3 cathodes.

2) The K155ID1 (74141) has partially failed.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
4 months 6 days ago #12952 by ebretteville
1) Modular Nixie Clock IN-14 tubes
2) I have a tube or two that has two numbers "dead" maybe this is the reason why. I'll check by removing them.

Thanks for your quick reply

More
4 months 6 days ago #12953 by ebretteville
@Ty_Eeberfest

You were right "One of the tubes has developed an internal short between the 2 and 3 cathodes" can you explain me this "electricaly" because when looking at the diagram I did not came up with this diagnosis. Thanks

More
4 months 6 days ago #12954 by Ty_Eeberfest
These internal shorts seem to happen fairly often with some models of Russian tubes. In the case of the IN-14 a shorted 2-3 isn't too surprising because those digits are next to each other in the digit "stack".

The 0 digits on all 6 tubes are tied together, the 1s all tied together, the 2s all tied together ... and so on. Standard multiplex design. So, if two digits short together in any tube it has the effect of shorting those digits for all tubes. Or to say it another way, if one tube has the 2 & 3 shorted, that shorts the "2 line" to the "3 line". The result is that any time any tube - not just the shorted one - is supposed to display a 2 or a 3 both digits will light up.

I hope that makes sense. I found it rather hard to explain clearly in words.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ebretteville

More
4 months 6 days ago #12955 by Ty_Eeberfest
Here is a page from the Classic kit manual that clearly shows how the digits are all tied together. The Modular's tube connections are electrically the same but it's not as clear on the Modular schematic as it is in the Classic. It's shown in detail in the Classic manual because the builder has to wire up all the tube connections by hand whereas on the Modular it's all on the PCB where the builder doesn't have to worry about it.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ebretteville

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com