Nixie healing mode on MNC6

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #12865 by Thesh111t
Hello everyone. I recently completed my first Nixie clock. A MNC6 using IN-14 tubes. Clock came out really nice and I'm pleased with it. I have 1 digit on 1 tube (A number 2 digit) that lights up most of the way but the very tip the the digit dims about half a second after it is energized. Id like to try to heal this digit on this tube, but I cant seem to get into tube healing mode. According to the manual, you "Long press the button for about 8 seconds". There are 2 buttons on my clock and a long press of either button (8 seconds or even longer) seems to be putting the clock into the mode to set the time (1 button tries to set the hours, the other tries to set the minutes). Has anyone used this model of clock before and if so, have you had any luck accessing the tube heal mode? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #12866 by Ty_Eeberfest
I've approved the your post so now everybody can see it. As far as answering your question myself, the MNC6 is so new that I haven't build one myself yet so I have no real experience with it. However, I just took a quick look at the source code and it sure looks like Digit Burn / Healing is not implemented! Hopefully someone else can shed some light on what's going on here...

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #12867 by Thesh111t
That may explain why i cant seem to get into that mode. Thank you for your help. Maybe Ian will have some input when he gets some free time. Thanks again.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #12868 by Ty_Eeberfest
I'm rather curious about this myself.

More
6 months 1 week ago #12876 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Nixie healing mode on MNC6
So the MNC6 does not (yet) come with a healing mode. Part of the rationale was that the tubes can be unplugged and hooked up to an external source, and part was that I wan't really sure that anyone uses this feature as there are plenty of external healers out there. I'm amazed that there seems to be such a market for them.

The other point is that you can swap the affected tube to a location where it will get cycled enough so that over time it will heal if it is healable. (The 1 x seconds location for instance).

Many people think that healing can solve many problems in a tube, but there is only really one problem it can solve, and that is that an under used cathode gets sputtered and doesn't manage to fully light when it is used, for example the date digits on a clock when showing a date instead of the time (dd-mm-yy): here the date tens of units occasionally have to show a "3" when normally only over "0", "1" or "2" are shown. Most often people try to heal a tube that in reality has an outgassing problem.

Ty, what do you think? Is it something that should be there? If it is, it's not a great big thing to add it, and flashers for the board are not expensive or difficult to get.

More
6 months 1 week ago #12880 by Ty_Eeberfest
Ian, I don't feel real strongly about this one way or another. On boards where tubes unplug I doubt I'd ever use it because I have my own ways of de-sputtering tubes. But I am probably not a typical user. Also, with MNC6 being pre-assembled and all, I'm guessing it appeals to customers who are less experienced and may not know anything about DIY tube healing,

So I guess I'm leaning toward putting it back in.

Let the complaints about it not fixing tubes that are actually leaking gas begin! :P

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com