Modular Clock Rev 4 Fails on Reset

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #12815 by Ian
I do have a box of them, and have been experimenting with them, and it's possible that one slipped through. It's definitely not intended though.

However, I have confirmed in the past that when using an ESP-01S, a similar problem happens. The LED flashing at a slow rate really confuses the controller. Bearing in mind that the clock module switches between master and slave mode regularly, it might be an arbitrarily complex situation to understand (it goes into master mode to go see if there is an RTC module connected, then switches back to slave mode to wait for an update from the WiFi module).

Let's see if it really is an ESP-01S (it's easy to tell - the ESP-01S does NOT have a red LED on it) and go from there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #12816 by Ty_Eeberfest
It saddens me to report that in the first few seconds of his Video Number 2 the red LED is clearly visible. I was really hoping it would be an ESP-01S. That would have neatly explained everything.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #12817 by Ian
Yep.

The slow flashing of the blue LED like that means that it is looking for the WiFi network. This shouldn't stop the clock booting. What is supposed to happen is that the clock will start with a default time and will get an update when the WiFi module connects.

I'm stumped too.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #12818 by mgerde
Apologies for the confusion. The kit came with the ESP-01 that it is supposed to. I only mentioned ESP-01S since that is what my programmer says it is intended for. Was just wondering if it would flash the ESP-01 properly or not.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #12819 by Ty_Eeberfest

mgerde wrote: Apologies for the confusion. The kit came with the ESP-01 that it is supposed to. I only mentioned ESP-01S since that is what my programmer says it is intended for. Was just wondering if it would flash the ESP-01 properly or not.

No problem. Thanks for confirming what I thought I was seeing in the videos.

One thing that's confusing me: at the end of Video 1 it looks like the clock is running but not responding to your actions on the Settings web page. You try to turn off LDR but the display stays dim. It also appears that the clock doesn't respond to your attempt to do a reset from the Utilities page (but probably the WiFi module is reset). Then at the beginning of Video 2 you again turn off LDR and that time it works.

What exactly did you do between the end of Video 1 and the beginning of Video 2 that caused the WiFi module and the clock to start communicating? Hard reset using the button? Just reconfig the WiFi to your network without doing anything to the clock? Or?? I know you explained the steps in you post with the video links, but I'm wondering if you omitted any resets or anything. Did the I2C just spontaneously start working when you reconfigured the WiFi?

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #12820 by mgerde
Correct. At the end of video 1, the clock is working after button reset and HV calibration but changes won't take effect through the web interface. SCL and SDA both are at 5 volts during this time. I used the "reset all" function on the web interface to fully reset the wifi controller. It does not seem to affect the clock at all but the wifi settings reset. The video stops there since I had to use my phone to connect to the Nixie access point to reconnect it to my network. There was a power cycle or two in there since it took several tries to actually get the wifi board to take the settings, reset and connect to network. This is where video 2 starts. After it connected, I was able to change settings and it worked properly (until next power cycle).

I forgot to mention - In the background you can see another clock that I have. It is a rev 3.1 board and running firmware 3.56 as well. I temporarily put one of the wifi controllers that came with the rev 4 boards into that older board and it worked flawlessly. Don't know if that has any bearing on this situation though. I will try to update the firmware on this controller as soon as I can.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com