NeoPixel

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #12691 by Dkivett
NeoPixel was created by Dkivett
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationI am thinking of building a vintage analog multi meter into a Nixie Clock using the
"Classic" 6-digit Arduino Nixie Clock Revision 6 I have a few questions about the NeoPixels I can do surface mount soldering with a little luck. but i am just not sure how to really mount the NeoPixels with this kind of board (if seems like you would need mini circuit boards to mount the leds on) for remote mounting
So i was wondering if i can get away with using something prebuilt like
or perhaps the Adafruit Breadboard-friendly RGB Smart NeoPixel also on ebay
This would allow me to mount the LEDS much easier

I would really appreciate some feedback and ideas, the NeoPixels are the only thing holding me back from buying the "Classic" 6-digit Arduino Nixie Clock Revision 6 VS the Rev 5 (which i have already built one of)

PS on a non related subject is there a Bug in the Password reset option on the this website
i tried several times and it wouldn't ever send me an email with the code to reset my password

Thanks for the help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago - 2 weeks 2 days ago #12692 by BS_Jim
Replied by BS_Jim on topic NeoPixel
You know they make 5mm Neopixels that look like regular RGB LED's. Here's an example from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Neopixel-Diffused-Through-Hole/dp/B00RKSSBBU/ . That may be easier to light a meter with.

edit: Amazon probably isn't the cheapest place to get them, but you can probably find a part # or description to search for there.
Last edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by BS_Jim.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #12693 by Dkivett
Replied by Dkivett on topic NeoPixel
Thanks Jim i actually hadn't looked on amazon i thought this would be too specific. so i found so really good values on
www.amazon.com/ALITOVE-100pcs-WS2812B-Ad...id=1630875244&sr=8-3

I am curious whether they will actually work from an electrical stand point i think that extra diode is probably just to reverse polarity protection
Also why would it be limited at 6 since its its just using a digital signal from the Clock? (although this time I don't really need anymore then 6)

Thank you

More
2 weeks 2 days ago - 2 weeks 2 days ago #12694 by BS_Jim
Replied by BS_Jim on topic NeoPixel
I'm not sure what "extra diode" you mean. In the photos on the linked page, there are C1 and R1 which look to be a capacitor and a resistor. The capacitor is for rf decoupling and the 750 ohm resistor is probably for current limiting.

The reason for the 6 neopixel limit is the program is only written for driving up to 6 neopixels under the tubes. The program can be easily modified for more LED's. (I say easily meaning by someone who knows Arduino programming, not easily by me.) Each neopixel is individually addressable so they can be individually controlled.

Edit: (A search for "5mm neopixel" on ebay turns up some cheaper results.)
Last edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by BS_Jim.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #12695 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic NeoPixel

Dkivett wrote: Thanks Jim i actually hadn't looked on amazon i thought this would be too specific. so i found so really good values on
www.amazon.com/ALITOVE-100pcs-WS2812B-Ad...id=1630875244&sr=8-3

Those will work. I've bought "Alitove" branded stuff off Amazon before and found it to be decent.

The key thing here is that whatever LEDs you choose must be WS2812B compatible or you will end up having to customize the clock code. WS2812B is probably the most common "pixel" controller out there but be aware there are others that do not speak the same protocol.

If you really want more than 6 LEDs the code will handle them with a simple modification. The LEDs beyond 6 get a repetition of the pattern shown on 1 - 6, e.g LED 7 does the same thing as LED 1, LED 8 does the same as LED 2, ..., LED 12 does the same as LED 6.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BS_Jim

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #12696 by Dkivett
Replied by Dkivett on topic NeoPixel
Thank you guys for your help
I am sure i'll need a little help if i decide to mess with the programming i do have a programmer that i've never used
I should get my new kit in a few weeks
Again
Thank you both
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ty_Eeberfest, BS_Jim

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com