Shorted 7 and 9? bad tube?

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #12621 by Dkivett

Here's the Basics In-1 tubes
Classic" 6-digit Arduino Nixie Clock Revision 5 with Wifi it's been running a few months not sure if it took a week to start acting up, or just that long for me to notice it

I've put the photos first so hopefully you can see my issue, Numbers 7&9 started out intermittently being on at the same time when ever either was called for. I thought this was only in the Hour slot but its on H, M, S
I thought it was a bad tube because if you tap the tube the problem goes away. I haven't disassembled it recently, but i had checked all my pins and checked the board for bad solder joints. I didnt take any board photos at the time.
I havent taken it apart recently but it seems to be getting worse.
I was hoping for some thoughts on this

Bad Tube? originally i thought it was a bad tube in the Hour position but since it does it on all 3 H, M ,S if has me confused Can the 7&9 grids even short together ?
If it's 07:47:47 it shows both the 7&9 on all 3 but if i tap the Hour tube it goes back to normal
i just tested a scenario, its 9:03:07 both the 7&9 are lit i tap it, it goes to normal till the 7 on the seconds lights up then its back to both 7&9 on the hour
any time that's not using the 7 or 9 in the Hour slot its fine the 7 and 9 in minutes and seconds work fine at 8:57:57
I am very confused
another reason i think it might be the tube is its intermittent
its now 10 minutes later 09:12 and its working fine unless i tap the Hour tube
if anyone has ideas i would appreciate it

Wiring, I hope is fine used crimped Pins that are insulated with heat shrink
Components ?? i have no idea if that could cause this
I will probably change out the 7 Hour tube
Please if you have any ideas or need clarification as to what's happening
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #12622 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Shorted 7 and 9? bad tube?
Unfortunately, this is a feature with IN-1s. They tend to form "filaments" between the cathodes and they they short together.you can sometimes solve it by passing some high current low voltage between the shorted pins and the whiskers are removed.

This is why IN-1 are so cheap...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dkivett

More
3 months 3 weeks ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #12623 by BS_Jim
Replied by BS_Jim on topic Shorted 7 and 9? bad tube?
Because of the tubes being multiplexed, the problem can occur in any tube and it will display on all of them. It's probably not the 10h tube because that only ever uses 0, 1, and 2, so no whiskers will grow on 7 and 9 there. You can also rule out the tubes at 10m and 10s positions. They never go above 5. You have 3 potential culprits. Try tapping on the 1m and 1s tubes in addition to the 1h tube. You can verify the faulty tube by pulling either the 7 or 9 cathode on the suspected tube. If you have the correct tube, then the problem goes away on all the rest.
Last edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by BS_Jim.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #12624 by Ty_Eeberfest
Here is a bit more detail on IN-1 "repair" techniques:

electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/...d-life-of-nixie-tube

Scroll down to the second answer, which begins: "I just 'repaired' 3 failed IN-1 nixie tubes with a low-voltage power supply.'

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #12625 by Dkivett
Replied by Dkivett on topic Shorted 7 and 9? bad tube?
I really appreciate all the help
I believe it is the Hour tube its the only one that tapping on makes any difference
I do have about 10 more of these tubes
I am interested in trying to repair them I read that article and he says a low voltage power supply he mentions the amperage but not voltage
I am guessing 5 or 12vdc?
I do not have an adjustable power supply but this just gives me a reason to get one
I want to once again thank you guys for all your help

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #12626 by Dkivett
Replied by Dkivett on topic Shorted 7 and 9? bad tube?
I would like to thank you all
I was able to burn out the filament, it turned out it was actually an issue with the S tube
it was a very easy procedure to do

Thank you all so much

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com