Firmware auto check?

More
7 months 5 days ago #12423 by ebretteville
Hye everyone,

Tried to find my answer on the forum using the search filed with no luck.
I have a modular nixie clock with wifi module.

Is there any auto-check firmware updates implemented?If so we need to go the admin url? And then download the firmware on the website or the OTA means it checks and dolwload automatically the firmware and wait for an admin to apply it?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 4 days ago #12427 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic Firmware auto check?
The firmware does not check for or download firmware updates automatically. If you want to update you will need to get the firmware from the repo and install it yourself. Note that OTA is for updating the WiFi module firmware only (on all except Wemos clocks).

Most of us do not want our clocks doing things automatically without our permission, so that is one reason for no automatic updates. Also, unless you have a specific problem that can only be fixed by an update, there is not really much need to update a working clock,

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ebretteville

More
7 months 4 days ago #12428 by ebretteville
Replied by ebretteville on topic Firmware auto check?
Thanks @Ty_Eeberfest for this detailed answer.
Have you ever encountered a wifi module update? How does it looks like?

Thanks

More
7 months 4 days ago #12431 by Ty_Eeberfest
Replied by Ty_Eeberfest on topic Firmware auto check?
I'm not sure I understand your question but I will try to answer. Yes I have updated WiFi modules (and "down-dated" lol) when trying to find answers to peoples questions. With versions that support OTA it is simple and easy. With older versions it requires using ESP-01 programming hardware device.

The WiFi module firmware for the Modular has not changed very much over the years. The most important change is that newer versions let you use NTP time servers instead of depending on a "special" Olson time server.

The thing that makes updating WiFi firmware difficult is that you also (in most cases) also need to update the clock's firmware at the same time. If you have Arduino experience and have an UNO to use as a programming tool (or is you have "bare metal" Atmega experience and own an ICSP) it's not bad. If you have no experience it can get messy.

Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater.

Moderators: AccutronTy_EeberfestIan
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by JoomlaShine.com